It was another record-setting night for Goldin Auctions this Saturday night, November 11th, and to nobody’s surprise memorabilia from Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan were among the highest priced items sold in the 2017 Goldin Auctions October Legends Auction. In all, the event tallied more than $3.85 million in sales and recorded the most bids in company history.
Four Mantle items, which included: a pair of 1952 Topps #311 rookie cards – one graded SGC 86 NM+ 7.5 and the other a PSA 5 EX; a 1959 Mantle photo-matched game-worn jersey; and a 1966 game used bat sold for a combined $320,991. The auction also featured perhaps the largest item ever sold, as the complete New York Rangers hockey rink from Madison Square Garden from 1991-2013 sold for $49,100.
Championship rings from another former New York baseball star also were in demand. The 18-lot Rusty Staub Collection sold for more than $89,000. They key items were his: 1986 Mets World Series Ring ($36,825); 1973 Mets N.L. Championship Ring ($18,412); 2000 Mets N.L. Championship Ring ($12,275); and 2015 Mets N.L. Championship Ring ($12,275).
The auction will also benefit those affected by Hurricanes this year in Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico. In all, the 44 American Red Cross Hurricane Relief lots tallied more than $20,000, with 100% to benefit the American Red Cross. Highlights included: 1909-11 T206 White Border Christy Mathewson ($3375); 1965 Topps #122 Joe Namath Rookie Card ($2086.75); 1950 Drakes Cookies Complete Set ($2,209.50); and 1959 Topps Baseball Complete Set ($1595.75).
Goldin Auctions is also current accepting consignments for its 2018 Winter Auction. For more information, visit GoldinAuctions.com. Here are some of the other auction highlights.
- Lot #65 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle SGC 86 NM+ 7.5 – Among more than 450 copies recorded in SGC’s census reporting, just seven examples have been placed at a higher tier. (Final Price: $125,205)
- Lot #43 – 1909-11 T206 White Border Eddie Plank PSA EX5 – Among a total of 71 examples recorded in PSA’s census reporting, just seven copies have been placed at a higher, unqualified tier. (Final Price: $119,067.50)
- Lot #6 – 1959 Mickey Mantle Game Used, Signed & Photo Matched Yankees Home Jersey – Comes with authentication from Mears and Sports Investors and LOA from Steve Grad of Beckett Authentication. It has been photo matched by Resolution Photo-matching to several images including a 1960 Topps Mickey Mantle Sport Magazine ’60 ALL-STAR SELCTION card. (Final Price: $92,062.50)
- Lot #18 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Games Used, Signed & Photo Matches Bulls Home Jersey – Worn by MJ on 4/11/98 when he recorded his 5000th career assist versus Orlando. The jersey comes with an LOA from the Chicago Bulls for the game use, Upper Deck for the signature and Resolution Photo-matching for the photo match. (Final Price: $73,650)
- Lot #4 – Finest Known Extremely Rare 1915 Babe Ruth & Father Original Type 1 Photograph in their Baltimore Tavern — The only known photograph of father and son, the approximately 8″ x 10″ crystal-clear image was taken in December 1915 depicting father and son as almost mirror images. (Final Price: $62,602.50)
- Lot #2 – 1898 Cap Anson Silver Presentation Bat – Awarded to Anson by the students at Notre Dame University in 1898, four months after he retired. (Final Price: $57,692.50)
- Lots #26-39 – The Senate Page Collection – The rare autograph collection, authenticated and encapsulated by PSA/DNA sold for more than $52,000. Highlights included: Frank Selee ($13,502) and George S. Davis ($20,867)
- Lot #23 – 1991-2003 NY Rangers Hockey Rink from Madison Square Garden – This rink was the one that hosted the Rangers at MSG for more than a decade including their 1994 Stanley Cup Championship season. (Final Price $49,100)
- Lot #9 – 1966 Mickey Mantle Game used H&B W215 Pro Model Bat with #7 on the knob (PSA GU 10 & Mears 10) (Final Price: $47,872)
- Lot #12 – 1998 New York Yankees World Series Champions Full Size Team Trophy (Final Price: $47,872.50)
- Lot #62 – 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays Rookie Card PSA NM-MT 8 – Among more than 1,500 copies recorded in PSA’s census reporting, just nine examples have been placed at a higher, unqualified tier. (Final Price: $36,825)
- Lot #49 – 1911-12 C55 Imperial Tobacco #38 Georges Vezina Rookie Card – The Issues “Key” Card – PSA NM7 – Among the 200 copies recorded in the PSA census report, just one example has been placed at a higher tier. (Final Price: $34,370)
- Lot #40 – 1888 Joseph Hall Cabinet “Chicago Ball Club” featuring Cap Anson SGC 30 GD 2 – A phenomenal team cabinet photo depiction of the 1888 Chicago White Stockings, produced by noted photographer Jos. Hall of Brooklyn. (Final Price: $34,370)
- Lot #16 – 1967 Frank Robinson Game Used & Signed Orioles Road Jersey – Robinson has added his signature to the front of the jersey, topping off an already extraordinary Hall of Fame and museum quality piece. (Final Price: $30,687.50)
- Lot #22 – NBA 50 Great Players Litho Completely Signed & Framed (#34/100) (Final Price: $29,460)
- Lot #96 – 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects #BDPP89 Mike Trout Blue Refractor #69/150 BGS Pristine 10/BGS 10 “1 of 2″ – (Final Price: $27,005)
- Lot #5 – 1939 All-Star Game Team Signed Baseball – Features 29 signatures including Lou Gehrig’s from his final ASG appearance. Other Hall of Fame signers include Walter Johnson, Tris Speaker, Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Joe Cronin, Bob Feller, Lefty Gomez, Mel Ott and more. (Final Price: $24,550)
- Lot #1635 – 1985-86 Karl Malone Photo Matched Game Used Utah Jazz Rookie Season Home Jersey — The most ever paid for a Karl Malone jersey. (Final Price $11,661.25)