The bids are all in, with Classic Auctions Spring18 Auction ending early Wednesday morning with heavy bidding throughout the final day. We were especially pleased with the strong prices realized, with a number of items closing much higher than anticipated. What an exciting final night of bidding! These results are helping to facilitate the healthy current market, with the month-long auction receiving thousands of bids on the 990+ items that were available with $1.3 Million in prices realized!
Items from the Gordon ”Red” Berenson were of great interest as were the Jacques Villeneuve Collection items, and despite the Bobby Hull rookie sweater not quite reaching it’s full potential, the Georges St-Pierre UFC Belt and 1929-30 Aurel Joliat Montreal Canadiens wool sweater more than made up for it, with each receiving spirited bidding. Traditionally hot items including vintage hockey cards and game-used equipment were as always in high demand, as were big ticket pieces such as championship rings and trophies. Presented below are some of the highlights:
Gordon Berenson Collection
The premier item was the Gordon “Red” Berenson’s 1965-66 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup Championship 10K Gold Ring with His Signed LOA, which sold for $29 462 (with buyer’s premium). The was one of many items from Gordon Berenson’s personal collection. Some other high performing items from the collection included:
- Gordon “Red” Berenson’s 1967-68 St. Louis Blues Inaugural Season Game-Worn Stanley Cup Finals Home Jersey with His Signed LOA – Team Repairs! (sold for $11 356 with BP)
- Gordon “Red” Berenson’s 1959 World Championships Belleville McFarlands Team Canada Game-Worn Wool Jersey with His Signed LOA – World Champions! (sold for $8 458 with BP)
- Gordon “Red” Berenson’s 1967-68 St. Louis Blues Inaugural Season Game-Worn Away Jersey with His Signed LOA (sold for $6 816 with BP)
- Gordon “Red” Berenson’s 1964-65 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup Championship Trophy with His Signed LOA (13″) (sold for $4 813 with BP)
Our Spring18 Auction featured well over one hundred game-worn modern, vintage and goalie jerseys. The Bobby Hull Rookie Jersey and Dryden Stanley cup jersey surely caught some attention!
- Bobby Hull’s Spectacular 1957-58 Chicago Black Hawks Game-Worn Rookie Season Wool Jersey – Numerous Team Repairs! – Photo-Matched! (sold for $82 382 with BP)
- Aurele Joliat’s 1929-30 Montreal Canadiens Game-Worn Wool Jersey with LOA – Stanley Cup Championship Season! – Photo-Matched! (sold for $60 322 with BP)
- Ken Dryden’s 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens Game-Worn Stanley Cup Finals Jersey with LOA – Photo-Matched! (sold for $42 776 with BP)
- Jerseys from the 1960s and 1970s performed very well, as did the more recent jerseys. Highlights included Wayne Gretzky’s 1978 Game-Worn Alternate Captain’s Jersey from the OHA All-Star Game – Earliest Known Gretzky Jersey! – Photo-Matched! (sold for $18 291 with BP), also newly stanley cup champion Alexander Ovechkin’s Washington Capitals 2011 Winter Classic Game-Worn Jersey – Photo-Matched! (sold for $8 063 with BP), and retired Joe Sakic’s 1991-92 Quebec Nordiques Game-Worn Alternate Captain’s Jersey with LOA – 75th Patch! – Photo-Matched! (sold for $7 330 with BP).
Hockey fans young and old certainly remember the era before graphite sticks, and collectors showed their appreciation for the value and history of these highly sought after items. Some of the highlights of the several dozen sticks featured in our Spring18 Auction included Bobby Orr’s 1966-67 Boston Bruins Northland Pro Game-Used Rookie Season Stick – Early Season Stick with Photo Evidence! (below, sold for $6 057 with BP). Gretzky items sold for lofty numbers including Wayne Gretzky’s 1992-93 Los Angeles Kings “1000th Game” Easton Game-Used Stick with LOA (sold for $5 384 with BP), and HOFer legend Guy Lafleur’s 1978-79 Montreal Canadiens Signed Sher-Wood Game-Used Stick with Lafleur’s Signed LOA – Attributed to Lafleur’s Semifinals Game #7 Game-Tying Goal vs Bruins(sold for $5 229 with BP).
Although Classic Auctions is the largest hockey auction site in the world, we do offer interesting items from other sports as well.
Items from the NBA, CFL, NFL as well as auto-racing and UFC were featured and highlights from this auction included a Georges St-Pierre’s UFC / Ultimate Fighting Championship Belt with Great Provenance Attributed to UFC 94, which sold for $66 354 with BP. Good activity on the racing scene with helmets and suits from the Villeneuve collection tallied more than $112 799 (with BP). The Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC Universal Graded 7.0 F/VF Off-White to White Pages found a new home, reaching $17 270 (with BP)
Rings, Awards and Trophies
Always a popular category with our collectors, we offered a good number of rare treasures in gold and silver. For instance, the Maurice Richard’s 1958-59 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup Championship Trophy with LOA (13″) (sold for $10 982 with BP) was a very active auction, as was Terry Sawchuk 1964-65 Toronto Maple Leafs Georges Vezina Commemorative Trophy (13 1/4″) (sold for $7 498 with BP).
Upcoming Fall18 Auction
Stay tuned for information regarding our Fall18 Auction, set to get underway at the beginning of October. A number of interesting items are already in house, with detailed information soon to come! As always, we are again on the hunt for premium quality items and collections, with consignment trips across this great continent of ours soon to come… stay tuned, and enjoy your summer collecting!