Original art for single-story Underground Comix highlights more than 650 lots in Heritage Auctions’ Weekly Internet Comics Auction on HA.com. Artworks are from the Eric Sack Collection of Underground Comix Art. Heritage offered a selection from the famous collection in November 2016 which sold for $1.6 million.
- E St. Antics, 1973, a complete one-page story produced by noted underground comics artist J. R. Burnham, appears in the auction. Burnham produced many comic strips and stories, some of which were published in San Francisco Comic Book #5-7. This one-page feature is marked on the back as possibly being published as a back cover on a title.
- Aesop’s Fables #22 “Waffles” Pinback Button Illustration Original Art and Pin, circa 1930s, features a never-before-seen original art for a rather scarce pinback series. Created for the Western Theater Premium Co. in the 1930s, the original art measures 9.25″ x 10.25″, and Waffles stands a jaunty 6.5″ tall (including text).
- Titled “From a Dark & Shady Place…” this 12-panel grid complete story features artist Mervin Gilbert (as Mervinius). The page comes from San Francisco Comic Book #3 and the complete one-page story is dated March 1970.
- Skip Williamson’s Seven Mouths To Feed Illustration Original Art (1976) is both funny and creepy at the same time. Williamson’s career started when he sold a cartoon to Gloria Steinem, the editor of Help! magazine. He was a noted underground comic artist, with his character Snappy Sammy Smoot being the most well-known.
- Another Skip Williamson piece comes from Playboy Magazine: “Neon Vincent’s Massage Parlor” Comic Strip Original Art. In 1976, Williamson joined the staff at Playboy, where he created the “Playboy Funnies” section.
- Steve Mad The Grim Reefer Complete 8-Page Story Original Art (1974) – Complete art designed for an eight-page “off the cuff” minicomic.
Other selections include:
Heritage Auctions at Shows in Chicago, San Jose and Australia This Weekend, April 21-23
Heritage Auctions will be exhibiting at no less than four comic conventions this weekend: in Chicago (two shows), San Jose and even Australia.
Heritage will be accepting consignments for its August Comics and Comic Art auction at all four events. Also, if you would like to learn more about how the consignment process works, this is the perfect time to talk to our category experts. You can come by anytime during the show, or if you prefer, call or email to make an appointment.
At C2E2, the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo at McCormick Place, Heritage will be at booth #1550. Our contact is Barry Sandoval at (214) 409-1377 or [email protected].
We’ll also be exhibiting across town at the Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, taking place at the Westin Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois. The contact is Ed Jaster at (214) 409-1288 or [email protected].
At Silicon Valley Comic Con, taking place at the San Jose Convention Center in San Jose, California, Heritage will be at booth #326. The contact is Matt Griffin at (214) 409-1694 or [email protected].
We’re also pleased to announce we’ll be at Supanova Comic-Con at the Gold Coast Convention Centre in Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia. Our contact is Lon Allen at (214) 409-1261 or [email protected].