One of the most prestigious awards in American sports has a new owner today as Yale halfback Clint Frank’s 1937 Heisman Trophy commanded a winning bid of $312,000 in Heritage Auctions’ Oct. 18-19 Sports Collectibles Auction. Legendary Yankees took the silver and bronze medals in this event, as a 1932 Babe Ruth three-sheet movie poster and a 1941-42 Joe DiMaggio game used bat drew winning bids of $60,120 and $45,600 respectively.
“There were solid results across the board,” said Chris Ivy, Director of Sports Auctions for Heritage. “We saw some high-end items rocket past our pre-auction estimates, which bodes incredibly well for our upcoming winter Platinum Night auction to launch the 2019 auction season.
Game worn jerseys indicated that the gridiron remains a bull market as a 1970s jersey from Dick Butkus sold for $43,200 and Mark Gastineau ended at $15,600. Collectors’ appetites for rare awards were satisfied when Joe Tinker’s 1906 gold “Chicago Champions” medallion and a 2011 New York Giants Super Bowl XLVI ring each soared to $31,200, signaling the enduring strength of the awards subgenre.
Other highlights include:
- $24,000 – 1920 New York Yankees Team Signed Baseball from Muddy Ruel’s House, the only known example
- $38,400 – 1934 Exhibits 4 on 1 Babe Ruth, Lefty Gomez, Lou Gehrig & Bill Dickey Signed Trading Card, PSA/DNA Authentic
- $26,400 – 1968 Deacon Jones Game Worn Los Angeles Rams Jersey, photo matched to three separate games
- $22,800 – 1996-97 Scottie Pippen Game Worn & Signed Chicago Bulls Uniform, photo matched to 12 games and career high points games!
- $20,400 – 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers Team Signed Baseball, PSA NM 7, from The Joseph O’Toole Collection
- $16,800 – 1939 Babe Ruth Signed Hall of Fame Grand Opening First Day Cover, PSA Gem Mint 10
- $15,600 – 1942-43 Stan Musial Game Used Rookie-Era Bat, PSA/DNA GU 8.5
- $16,800 – 1983 Eric Dickerson Game Worn & Signed Los Angeles Rams Rookie Jersey, photo matched
Heritage Auctions Sports next big memorabilia event of the season is Nov. 15-16, when its Fall Sports Card Catalog Auction cracks open collectors’ vaults to offers rarities from Mickey Mantle to Satchel Paige.