It was another record-setting event this weekend as the Goldin Auctions 2019 Spring Auction generated $4.3 million in sales for 1,000 lots of sports, entertainment and historical collectibles. Not surprisingly, memorabilia from past baseball greats Jackie Robinson, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Ty Cobb and Lou Gehrig, as well as current stars Mookie Betts and Mike Trout continued the tremendous momentum for both historic and modern baseball memorabilia among collectors.
Four items, including Robinson’s 1951 Dodgers home jersey, Bonds’ final career home run baseball, a rare 1910 E98 Cobb card and Gehrig’s 1925 Yankees contracts sold for over $200,000, while 40-lots of Rodriguez items sold for nearly $300,000, and a pair of Trout rookie cards combined to sell for $100,000. In all, eight record-setting prices were established.
“It is great to see how hot both the baseball and basketball markets are right now in the hobby. As always we are proud to continuously position ourselves as the industry leader in modern trading cards and game used items.” said Goldin Auctions Founder and CEO, Ken Goldin.
Here’s a look at some of final sales prices (including buyer’s premium) for some of the elite items. Record prices are highlighted with an asterisk (*). The complete catalog is available at GoldinAuctions.com.
- Lot #1 – 1951 Jackie Robinson Historically Significant 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers Home Jersey (MEARS 8) – (FINAL PRICE: $576,000)
- Lot #61 — Barry Bonds Last Career Home Run Baseball #762 – (FINAL PRICE: $282,900)
- *Lot #2 – 1910 E98 “Set of 30” Ty Cobb, Red – PSA GEM MT 10 “1 of 2” – One of two examples at its tier among 14 copies in PSA’s census report. (FINAL PRICE: $270,600)
- Lot #5 – 1925 Lou Gehrig Signed Yankees Player’s Contract for his First Full Season — (FINAL PRICE: $271,710)
- Lot #7 – 1959 Ted Williams Game Used Boston Red Sox Complete Home Uniform Including Jersey & Pants with Undershirt (MEARS A10) – (FINAL PRICE: $94,710)
- *Lot #3 -2003/04 Upper Deck Basketball “Exquisite Collection” Unopened Hobby Case – BBCE Certified – (FINAL PRICE: $93,480)
- Lot #4 – 1986/87 Fleer Basketball Unopened Wax Box (FINAL PRICE: $75,030)
- *Lot #51 – 2014 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autos #BCAPMB Mookie Betts Superfractors Signed Rookie Card (#1/1) – BGS MINT 9/BGS 10 – (FINAL PRICE: $81,180)
- *Lot #46 – 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects #BDPP89 Mike Trout (Blue Refractor) Signed Rookie Card (65/150) – PSA GEM MT 10/Auto 10 – (FINAL PRICE: $68,880)
- Lot #47 -2009 Bowman Sterling Prospect Black Refractors #MT Mike Trout Signed Rookie Card (#21/25) – BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 (FINAL PRICE: $31,980)
- Lot #62 – Alex Rodriguez 500th Career Home Run Baseball – (FINAL PRICE: $51,660)
- Lot #66 – Alex Rodriguez 500th Career Home Run Bat – (FINAL PRICE: $45,510)
- Lot #67 –Alex Rodriguez 500th Career Home Run Uniform (Jersey & Pants) – (FINAL PRICE: $31,980)
- Lot #12 – 1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth Signed Card – BGS MINT 9 Signatures (JSA & Beckett LOAs) – (FINAL PRICE: $44,280)
- *Lot #1034- 1999 San Antonio Spurs NBA Finals Game 5 Used, Photo Matched & Team Signed Basketball – (FINAL PRICE: $29,520)
- Lot #129 – Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier Fight of the Century Contract –
(FINAL PRICE: $24,600)
- *Lot #409 – 2000 Pacific Crown Royale Rookie Royalty Die-Cut #2 Tom Brady Rookie Card (#7/10) PSA EX-MT 6 – (FINAL PRICE: $24,600)
- Lot #44 -2005/06 Upper Deck “The Cup” #179 Alexander Ovechkin Game Used 4 Color Patch Signed Rookie Card (#39/99) – BGS MINT 9/BGS 10 – (FINAL PRICE: $24,600)
- *Lot #55 – Rolling Stones Band Classic Lineup Signed Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar – Signed by Jagger, Richards, Wood, Watt & Wyman. Comes with LOA from JSA for all five signatures. The record prices is for a signed, but not used Rolling Stones guitar- (FINAL PRICE: $20,910)
- *Lot #645 – 1912-1919 Heine Groh Game Used Spalding Pre-Model Bat (MEARS A8)- (FINAL PRICE: $12,300)
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $700 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold a Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $3.12 million, Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, the Mike Piazza Post-9/11 home run jersey for $365,000, and the 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky PSA 10 rookie card for a record $465,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. Goldin Auctions is the official auction partner of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Jackie Robinson Foundation and the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com.