Following a record-setting 2016 in which prices for sports and entertainment memorabilia reached new heights, Goldin Auctions kicks-off 2017 with the 2017 Goldin Auctions Winter Auction — a 1,300+ lot auction from January 9 through January 28 at www.GoldinAuctions.com. Among the items expected to set new standards are: a spectacular well-centered 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle rookie card (SGC 86 NM+ 7.5); a pair of Michael Jordan game-used Bulls jerseys; a 1984-87 Walter Payton Chicago Bears full game-used road uniform; plus 30 lots of 2005-06 Upper Deck NHL “The Cup” and “The Shield” 1/1 trading cards being offered for sale for the first-time ever.
The nearly 300 different lots of trading cards also include two more Mantle rookies — one graded PSA EX-MT 6 and the other graded SGC 30 GD 2. Other high-grade vintage rookie card lots include; a Johnny Unitas (1957 Topps #18 PSA-NM 8), Jim Brown (1958 Topps #62 PSA NM-MT 8), Michael Jordan (1984-85 Star #101 signed BGC NM+ 7.5/BGS 10); Roberto Clemente (1955 Topps #164 PSA MT-NM 8), Hank Aaron (1954 Topps #128 PSA NM-MT 8), Ernie Banks (1954 Topps #94 PSA NM-MT 8); Nolan Ryan (1968 Topps #177 GAI NM-MT + 8.5) and many more.
After setting a new record price for rap/hip hop memorabilia last year, the 2017 Goldin Auctions Winter Auction features eight more lots of memorabilia from legendary artist Tupac Shakur including: (Lot #12) Tupac’s ticket stub from the 1996 Tyson-Selden fight – the event he attended just hours before his murder; and (Lots #13 & 14) two lots of hand-written letters the hip-hop star wrote from prison in 1995.
Here’s a look at some of the other auction highlights.
- Lot #1 – 1984-87 Walter Payton Game-Used Chicago Bears Road Uniform – includes white jersey, navy pants and sweetness towel. Graded a MEARS A10 and include a LOA from bear equipment manager Gary Hager.
- Lot #2 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card SGC 86 NM+ 7.5 – Among the 400 copies in the SGC census report, just 7 have been placed at a higher tier.
- Lot #3 – 1921-28 Ty Cobb Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Bat – Used by the legendary player during the final eight years of his Hall of Fame career. Includes an LOA from MEARS who graded it an A7.
- Lot #4 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game-Used Bulls Home Jerseys – Worn by the legendary player on 4/3/98 from a game in which he scored 41 points versus Minnesota and surpassed 29,000 career points to become the NBA’s third all-time scorer. Includes a full LOA from the Chicago Bulls and certificate from Resolution Photo-matching.
- Lot #1077 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game Used Bulls Road Uniforms – This lot features both the Bulls red road jersey and shorts worn by MJ during the McDonald’s Championships in Paris specifically the 89-82 semi-final win over PSG Racing on 10/17/97 with Jordan scoring 28 points . Photo-matched and graded MEARS A10 & MeiGray.
- Lot #5 – 2014-5 LeBron James Game Used Cavs Road Jersey – Worn on 11/7/14 in the Cavs 110-101 win at Denver in which James posted 22 points 11 assists and 7 rebounds. The jersey has been photo-matched with a full LOA from MeiGrey.
- Lot #8 – 2001 Roberto Alomar Rawlings Gold Glove Award – The final of his 10 career Gold Gloves was earned in Cleveland where he committed just 6 errors in 155 games for a .992 fielding percentage.
- Lot #9 – 1995 Dallas Cowboys Erik Williams Super Bowl Trophy
– The 16-inch trophy I the most significant such item to be offered at auction since teammate Larry Brown’s Super Bowl XXX Lombardi Trophy was sold for almost $25,000 in 2003. Includes an LOA from Williams certifying it as his original and only Super Bowl XXX trophy.
- Lots #12-19 — Tupac Shakur Collection — Eight lots from the hip-hop legend including the ticket stub from the Tyson-Selden fight, two lots of love letters written from prison, original photos, a signed check and his clothing from the movie “Gang Related.”
- Lot #22 – 1909-11 T206 White Border PSA EX 5 Collection – 179 different cards including a host of Hall of Famers from the most famous card set in the industry – all graded PSA 5 and most include either a Piedmont or Sweet Corporal branded back.
- Lot #395 – 1939-43 Jimmie Foxx Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Pre Model Bat PSA/DNA GU 8
- Lot #396 – 1939-40 Joe DiMaggio Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Pre Model Bat MEARS A8 & PSA GU 7.5
- Lots #222-251 – Upper Deck NHL “The Shield” and “The Cup” 1/1 Insert Cards – 30 different lots featuring high-grade 1/1 insert cards from Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby and others. Among the most desirable cards are: 2005/06 The Cup #180 Crosby rookie signed 1/1 BGS Pristine 10; 2005/06 The Cup #180 Crosby rookie signed 1/1 BGS GEM 9.5; and 2005/06 The Cup #DS-LC Lemieux/Crosby NHL Shield Card.
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $600 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, the Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $3.12 million, the Mike Piazza Post-9/11 home run jersey for $365,000, and the 1980 Wayne Gretzky PSA 10 rookie card for a record $465,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. All game worn or autographed items come with team, player, league or additional LOA from industry leading authenticators; and collectors can bid with confidence that their proxy/ceiling bids remain confidential. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com.