A pair of trading cards and game worn jerseys from two of the most popular athletes of the century, Mickey Mantle and Michael Jordan sold for a combined $385,000 in the 2017 Goldin Auctions Winter Auction, which closed this weekend with the 1,300 lots generating more than $2.75 million in sales.
The auction also featured a wide selection of Presidential and pop-culture memorabilia. Among these highlights were: Ronald Reagan’s hand-written oath of office ($34,300); John F. Kennedy’s “last” autograph ($11,205); a Playboy magazine autographed by Donald Trump ($4,900) and Tupac Shakur’s ticket from the Mike Tyson-Bruce Seldon fight ($24,500) from the night he was murdered.
Here’s a look at some of the auction highlights. The Goldin Auctions Babe Ruth Auction opens this Friday, February 3. The company is currently accepting consignments for the Jackie Robinson 70th Anniversary Auction to benefit the Jackie Robinson Foundation and the spring auction.
- Lot #2 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card SGC 86 NM+ 7.5 – Among the 400 copies in the SGC census report, just seven have been placed at a higher tier. ($134,750)
- Lot #105 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA EX-MT 6 – ($82,075)
- Lot #1077 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game Used Bulls Road Uniforms – This lot features both the Bulls red road jersey and shorts worn by MJ during the McDonald’s Championships in Paris specifically the 89-82 semi-final win over PSG Racing on 10/17/97 with Jordan scoring 28 points. Photo-matched and graded MEARS A10 & MeiGray. ($73,200)
- Lot #4 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game-Used Bulls Home Jerseys – Worn by the legendary player on 4/3/98 from a game in which he scored 41 points versus Minnesota and surpassed 29,000 career points to become the NBA’s third all-time scorer. Includes a full LOA from the Chicago Bulls and certificate from Resolution Photo-matching. ($68,600)
- Lot #1 – 1984-87 Walter Payton Game-Used Chicago Bears Road Uniform – includes white jersey, navy pants and sweetness towel. Graded MEARS A10 and includes a LOA from Bears equipment manager Gary Hager. ($50,400)
- Lot #3 – 1921-28 Ty Cobb Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Bat – Used by the legendary player during the final eight years of his Hall of Fame career. Includes an LOA from MEARS who graded it an A7. ($47,775)
- Lot #126 – 1955 Topps #164 Roberto Clemente Rookie Card PSA NM-MT 8 – Among the 4,200 copies graded, just 15 have earned a higher grade. ($36,750)
- Lot #395 – 1939-43 Jimmie Foxx Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Pre-Model Bat PSA/DNA GU 8
Lot #13 – Tupac Shakur Sexually Explicit Letter ($34,300)
- Lot #22 – 1909-11 T206 White Border PSA EX 5 Collection – 179 different cards including a host of Hall of Famers from the most famous card set in the industry – all graded PSA 5 and most include either a Piedmont or Sweet Corporal branded back ($33,600)
- Lot #283 – 1980 Philadelphia Eagles NFC Champions Ring – A player’s ring from fullback Leroy Harris. It is just the second such ring to ever be offered at auction ($26,950)
- Lot #5 – 2014-15 LeBron James Game Used Cavs Road Jersey – Worn on 11/7/14 in the Cavs 110-101 win at Denver in which James posted 22 points 11 assists and 7 rebounds. The jersey has been photo-matched with a full LOA from MeiGrey ($26,950)
- Lot #12 – Tupac Shakur Tyson-Selden Fight Ticket – The ticket stub from the event Tupac attended the night of his murder ($24,500)
- Lot #396 – 1939-40 Joe DiMaggio Game Used Hillerich & Bradsby Pre Model Bat MEARS A8 & PSA GU 7.5 ($22,050)
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $600 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, the Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $3.12 million, the Mike Piazza Post-9/11 home run jersey for $365,000, and the 1980 Wayne Gretzky PSA 10 rookie card for a record $465,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. All game worn or autographed items come with team, player, league or additional LOA from industry leading authenticators; and collectors can bid with confidence that their proxy/ceiling bids remain confidential. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com.