The Goldin Auctions 2018 October Legends Auction closed on Saturday night with a record $4.6 million in sales, including $1 million from The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Collection. The highest grossing October Legends auction ever had a dozen items sell for more than $50,000, including a 1916 M101-5 Blank Back #151 Babe Ruth Rookie Card leading the way at $220,950, James Naismith’s 1891 Founding Rules of Basketball from his 1934 manuscript with hand notations netting $171,850, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks Championship Ring (Lew Alcindor) selling for $153,437.
Many of the 600 lots of trading cards and more than 100 game-used bats exceeded pre-auction estimates, including: a 1969/70 Topps #20 John Havlicek Rookie Card selling for $100,655; a 1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax Rookie Card netting $88,380; and a 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects #BDPP89 Mike Trout Gold Refractor Signed Rookie Card fetching $58,920.Six pre-war bats surpassed $20,000, including: 1914-15 Frank Baker ($34,370), 1922-23 Honus Wagner ($31,915), 1942-43 Stan Musial rookie era ($24,55), 1911-16 Ty Cobb ($23,322), 1922-23 Tris Speaker ($22,095) and 1910-11 Sam Crawford ($20,867).
“We were especially pleased with the prices realized for the pre-1950 game used vintage bats, with many setting record prices for the grade,” said Ken Goldin Founder of Goldin Auctions. “Since our sale of a Nap Lajoie bat in August for more than $100,000, our customer base searching for vintage hall of fame game-used bats has grown dramatically.”
Here are some of the highlights of the Goldin Auctions 2018 October Legends Auction. All prices realized are available at GoldinAuctions.com. The company is currently accepting consignments for its annual Holiday Auction.
- Lot #63 – 1971 Lew Alcindor Milwaukee Bucks Championship Ring (Final Price $153,437)
- Lot #59 – 1970 Lew Alcindor Rookie Game-Used NBA All-Star Game Uniform (Final Price $93,290)
- Lot #83 – 1984 Original LeRoy Nieman Skyhook Oil Painting (Final Price $87,152)
- Lot #84 – 1984-85 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar NBA & Sport Magazine NBA Finals MVP Trophy (Final Price $51,555)
- Lot #85 – 1981 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar All-Star Game Jersey (Final Price $44,190)
- Lot #62 – 1970-71 Lew Alcindor MVP Scoring Champion Award (Final Price $42,962)
- Lot #179 – 1916 M101-5 Blank Back #151 Babe Ruth Rookie Card (SGC EX+ 5.5 “1 of 2”)-This is one of just two examples at its tier (with none graded higher) among a total of 12 copies recorded in SGC’s census reporting. (Final Price $220,950)
- Lot #164 – James Naismith 1891 Founding Rules of Basketball from his 1934 Manuscript with Hand Notations-A copy of the very rules typed out by James Naismith in 1934 for his manuscript “Basketball: The Fascinating Story of the Game The Whole World Plays Told By The Man Who Invented It.” The original rules on this 1934 version were typed out on three total pages, with additional hand-written notes. These were the original rules from 1891 that started the game we know today. (Final Price $171,850)
- Lot #190 – 1969/70 Topps #20 John Havlicek Rookie Card (PSA Gem Mint 10 “1 of 2”)-This is one of just two examples at its tier among a total of more than 1,300 copies recorded in PSA’s census reporting. (Final Price $100,655)
- Lot #182 – 1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax Rookie Card (PSA 9)-This is one of just 23 examples at its tier (with three graded higher) among a total of more than 7,300 copies recorded in PSA’s census reporting. (Final Price $88,380)
- Lot #196 – 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects #BDPP89 Mike Trout (Gold Refractor Signed Rookie Card (#45/50) BGS Gem Mint 9/5/BGS 10-The limited-edition piece is serial-numbered “45/50”. (Final Price $58,920)
- Lot #181 – 1952 Bowman Baseball Complete Set (252)-#11 on the PSA Set Registry. (Final Price $47,872)
- Lot #154 – 1956 Roberto Clemente Rookie Era Used Rawlings Glove (PSA/DNA)-The Great One wore this Rawlings 11.5-inch HSP Solid V Anchor model fielder’s glove during only his second season in the majors. (Final Price $47,872)
- Lot #195 – 2007/08 Exquisite Collection #94 Kevin Durant Signed Jersey Rookie Card (#24/35) BGS NM-MT+ 8.5/BGS 10 (Final Price $47,872)
- Lot #155 – 1955 Yogi Berra Game-Used Catcher’s Mitt and Mask (Final Price $44,190)
- Lot #178 – 1911-12 C55 Imperial Tobacco #38 Georges Vezina Rookie Card (SGC 92 NM/MT + 8.5) (Final Price $40,507)
Lot #234 – 2004 Boston Red Sox World Series Ring Presented to Bobby Doerr-The ring was one of 61 lots in The Bobby Doerr Collection from the Red Sox legend. (Final Price $34,370)