Modern trading cards across sports including basketball, soccer and football dominated the bidding at Goldin’s August Card & Memorabilia Auction, which closed last night. Topping the auction was a 2003-04 “Exquisite Collection” LeBron James signed patch rookie card (graded BGS MINT 9/BGS 10) which sold for $2,029,500, an all-time record for this card in any grade.
The auction, which featured more than 1,200 rare, collectible items closed with $12 million in total sales, including record sales for Tom Brady, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Erling Haaland cards. The August auction also included incredible WWE fan experiences and SummerSlam memorabilia, which sold for a total of more than $110,000. One buyer won a pair of tickets to WrestleMania 38 and a meet & greet with WWE legend, The Undertaker while another won a WWE headquarters tour with Triple H.
“The big headline of the night was obviously LeBron. His Exquisite Collection rookie, one of the hobby’s flagship cards, broke another record but we also saw the 2020-21 Panini Prizm Gold sell for nearly $100,000,” said Ken Goldin, Founder and Executive Chairman of Goldin. “Soccer items continue taking off also. With Ronaldo announcing his return to Manchester United, we saw a surge in bidding for his items, including a new record set for his rookie card.”
The auction also featured notable non-sports items, including two cards featuring and signed by JAY-Z, the rapper that has been a dominant force in popular culture, which went for a total of nearly $20,000. A piece of wing fabric from the Wright Brothers’ aircraft the Wright Flyer” was also featured and went for $7,380, alongside a collection of 1959 Fleer cards featuring the iconic American comedy team Three Stooges, which sold for a total of $32,595.
Other notable items from this auction included:
- A 2000 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady Signed Championship Ticket rookie card graded BGS NM+ 7.5/BGS 10 sold for $799,500, an all-time record for this card in this grade (LOT #2)
- A 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Superfractor Erling Haaland rookie card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5 went for $210,330, an all-time record for a 2019-20 Finest UEFA card and the second most expensive Erling Haaland card of all-time (LOT #3)
- A 2013-14 Panini Prizm Giannis Antetokounmpo rookie card graded PSA MINT 9 sold for $270,600, an all-time record for this Antetokounmpo card in this grade (LOT #6)
- A 2016 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Vladimir Guerrero Jr. signed card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 sold for $186,960, an all-time record for any Guerrero Jr. card (LOT #8)
- A 2016 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Fernando Tatis Jr. signed card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 went for $82,410 (LOT #9)
- The Barb Wire Baseball Bat Ric Flair used in his victory against Mick Foley in the “I Quit” match at WWE SummerSlam 2006 sold for $19,680 (LOT #23)
- A 2020-21 Panini Prizm Gold #1 LeBron James card graded PSA NM-MT 8 went for $99,630, an all-time record for any 2020-21 Prizm Basketball card (LOT #80)
- A1994 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr./Mickey Mantle Dual Signed Card graded PSA MINT 9, PSA/DNA Certified went for $55,350, setting a new record for this card
- A 2003 Upper Deck Manchester United Gold Cristiano Ronaldo Rookie Card graded PSA NM 7 sold for $59,040, an all-time record for any Ronaldo card from 2003 (LOT #192)
- A 2013 BBM Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Rookie Limited Edition Shohei Ohtani Signed Card graded PSA NM-MT 8 sold for $36,900, an all-time record for any BBM card and an all-time record for any 2013 Ohtani card (LOT #269)
- A 2020 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Autographs Red Refractor Lewis Hamilton Signed Card graded BGS NM-MT 8/BGS 10 sold for $59,040, an all-time record for any racing card (LOT #385)
Goldin has built a reputation as the trusted leader in trading cards, memorabilia and collectibles. So far this year, the company has already done over $260 million in sales. Goldin is actively accepting consignments for its future auctions. To inquire about consigning items, email email@example.com.