Featuring just over 1,100 lots of diverse hockey material which included the personal collections of Ray Bourque, Don Simmons and Gary Howatt as well as selections from the incomparable autograph collection of E.R. Hamlyn, the Classic Auctions Fall 2019 Auction was a huge success, with something for every bidder, including hundreds of game-worn jerseys, trading cards, autographs and much more! The total realized for the entire auction was $1.393 Million, with strong prices garnered for important jerseys, autographs and cards.
The offerings from the Ray Bourque collection were met with vigorous bidding, with the legendary defenceman’s 1991-92 Boston Bruins “Turn Back the Clock” Signed Game-Worn Jersey reaching $5,384, along with his 1999-2000 Colorado Avalanche Game-Worn Away Jersey achieving $3,341. Items gifted to the HOF defenceman also did especially well, including Igor Larionov’s 1984 Canada Cup Team CCCP Game-Worn Jersey, hammered down for $6,962, as well as Patrick Roy’s 2000-01 Colorado Avalanche Signed Game-Worn Playoffs Jersey, reaching $7,498. Ray’s “For the Love of Hockey” Signature Series Players’ Edition also received spirited bidding, with a final price of $3,759. Items from the Don Simmons collection exceeded expectations, with his formidable 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Championship 10K Gold and Diamond Ring reaching $29,250, along with his stunning 1961-62 Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Championship Trophy that realized an impressive $10,323.
Top 5 – Most bids
Attracting considerable attention, it’s no surprise our top 5 lots that received the most bids was led by numbers one and two on the all-time scoring list, with Gordie Howe’s Circa 1957 Detroit Red Wings Stall & Dean Game-Used Gloves receiving 29 bids before being sold for $10,194, along with Wayne Gretzky’s April 6th 1983 Edmonton Oilers Four-Goal Game Playoffs Goal Puck that interested 24 bidders before being hammered down for a hefty $6,516.
Rounding out the top 5:
- Maple Leaf Gardens 1931 Seating Plan Blueprint – Date Stamped July 1931 – 24 bids ($3,986)
- Deceased HOFer Terry Sawchuk Signed Detroit Red Wings Photo from the E. Robert Hamlyn Collection – 24 bids ($2,993)
- Chris Chelios’ 1995-96 Chicago Black Hawks Game-Worn Captain’s Jersey – 10+ Team Repairs! – James Norris Trophy Season! – Photo-Matched! – 24 bids ($5,229)
Other lots that received considerable bidding include:
- Deceased HOFer John “Jack” Marshall (Montreal AAA – Montreal Wanderers – Toronto Blueshirts) Signed 1953 Letter from the E. Robert Hamlyn Collection – 24 bids ($6,423)
- Deceased HOFer Richard “Dickie” Boon (Montreal AAA – Montreal Wanderers) Signed 1952 Letter from the E. Robert Hamlyn Collection – 24 bids ($2,993)
- Eric Lindros’ November 17th 2005 Toronto Maple Leafs Game-Worn Jersey – Scored Game-Winning Goal! – 23 bids ($5,923)
Top 5 – Highest Prices
Expectedly, the highest earner this auction was the tremendous 1986-87 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers’ Game-Worn Captain’s Jersey – Photo-Matched to Regular Season and Stanley Cup Finals, with the final hammer price of $201,009. A second paramount jersey captured the second spot for highest price, with Mark Wells’ 1980 Olympics Team USA Team-Signed Game-Worn Jersey, receiving 20 bids before being sold for $58,888.
Here’s a look at the remaining Top 5 lots with the highest prices realized:
- Don Simmons’ 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Championship 10K Gold and Diamond Ring with Family LOA ($29,250)
- Dave Cowan’s 2014-15 Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Championship 14K Gold and Diamond Ring ($24,172)
- Jaromir Jagr’s 1991-92 Pittsburgh Penguins Game-Worn Jersey – Stanley Cup Championship Season! – Badger, Penguins 25th and NHL 75th Patches! – Photo-Matched! ($14,471)
Results on trading cards were especially strong, with prices realized on wax boxes showing the considerable demand for unopened material.
Have similar cards to consign? Contact us now
Lastly, our initial selections from the unmatched E.R. Hamlyn autograph collection demonstrated considerable demand, with the top seller Deceased HOFer John “Jack” Marshall (Montreal AAA – Montreal Wanderers – Toronto Blueshirts) Signed 1953 Letter, reaching $6,423.
CONSIGNMENTS FOR WINTER 2020 AUCTION ARE NOW OPEN – CONTACT US NOW
Classic Auctions Inc
215 St-François-Xavier #104
Delson, Qc J5B 1X8