In baseball, October is when the big games are played. So it’s appropriate that in its aptly titled October Legends auction, Goldin Auctions is offering some of the most significant and unique game used memorabilia from many of the greatest players in sports. From Oct. 4 through Nov. 1 at www.GoldinAuctions.com, collector will have the opportunity to bid upon more than 400 game used items, 40 championship rings and awards, dozens of historical sports documents and hundreds of lots of rare cards. For more information or to register for a free catalog, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com.
Headlining the trove of game used memorabilia is a Lou Gehrig ‘small signature’ game used bat from 1936-38 (Lot #1). Graded PSA GU-9, the bat is one of the coveted Hillerich & Bradsby models rarely offered at auction as only seven were ever produced. A bat from the greatest first baseman in baseball history is rare, but a game used glove from the greatest pitcher in baseball history is even rarer. The 1959-60 Sandy Koufax Game Used Glove (Lot #7) is photo matched and comes with a rock-solid provenance from the man Koufax gave the glove to more than 50 years ago. A few of the other rare game used items include; (Lot #10) a 1955 Roberto Clemente rookie game used bat graded PSA 9; and (Lot #5) an 1895-00 Princeton Tigers Game Worn football jersey, believed to be the earliest known football jersey in existence.
The auction also offers a dozen lots with historical Pete Rose documents and memorabilia such as his 1969 BBWA Sam Rice Award; 1985 N.L; All-Star hand-signed and inscribed game used bat; the file copy of his final contact with the Reds; a collection of endorsement contracts; cancelled checks; business documents and more.
For collectors who want a piece of their favorite championship team, the auction offers an incredible selection of nearly 30 championships rings including (Lots #22-53): 1975 & 76 Cincinnati Reds; 1996 & 98 NY Yankees; Super Bowl XVIII LA Raiders; Super Bowl XLII NY Giants player ring; 2006 Miami Heat NBA Championship ring; 2008 Boston Celtics Championship ring; and a 1978 Reggie Jackson Yankees Word Series ring (a second ring he ordered in 1978 and the one he wore as he kept original in safe) including an LOA from Jackson.
Here’s a look at some of the other October Legends Auction highlights:
- Lot #367 – Marvin Miller’s 1966 contract naming him Executive Director of the MLBPA (LOA from PSA/DNA)
- Lot #353 – Lot of four (4) Pete Rose Checks – not just any checks but four of the checks mentioned in the Dowd Report used by Rose to settle gambling debts.
- Lot #354 – Pete Rose Enterprises Documents – more than 100 documents signed by Pete Rose including articles of incorporation and contract with his agent.
- Lot #357 – Lot of five (5) 1987-88 Cincinnati Reds scorecards – these are from the time period of games bet on by Rose from the Dowd Report
- Lot #358 – Pete Rose check, made out to and endorsed by Nolan Ryan in 1987, for $850 for tickets
- Lot #2 – The Cambridge Collection – a collection of 2200 19th century baseball cards still in two the scrapbooks.
- Lot #3 – 1917 Joe Jackson M101-6 (Mendelsohn) newly discovered one-of-kind baseball card
- Lot #12 -1939 Play Ball set. The highest ever graded set, collected by Jeffrey Gitomer, it is considered a PSA Hall of fame set.
- Lot #371 – 1927 Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig signed baseball
- Lot #8 – CIAA Historical document collection on the formation of the Colored International Athletic Association (the entire archives from 1912)
- Lot #9 – Historically significant MLB integration documents from 1961
- Lot #373 – Home Run Champions baseball signed by Babe Ruth and Roger Maris
- Lot #20 – Game Used Michael Jordan jersey from 97-98 Championship season (his last) Signed by Jordan with a letter from Chicago Bulls to Actress/Director Penny Marshall.
- Lot #16 – The 1956 Management contract between Elvis Presley and Colonel Parker granting Parker exclusive representation rights to Elvis
- Lot #60 – Mariano Rivera’s jersey from first two games ever played at new Yankee Stadium
- Lot #61 – Game used 2003 Mariano Rivera glove used for his 40th save that season.
- Lots #14 & 15 – Game used Derek Jeter rookie batting helmet and rookie game used bat
- Lot #21 – Yogi Berra 1955 Most Valuable Player Award
- Lot #62 – Bryce Harper’s Nationals jersey worn during first playoff game and playoff home run
- Lot #247 – Albert Pujols 2011 World Series game used bat
- Lot #880 – Joe Montana’s jersey worn in his final Championship game, the 1993 AFC championship (with LOA from Joe himself)
- Lot #976 – Wilt Chamberlain’s 1967 contract with the 76ers. Signed by Wilt, team and league.
- Lot #312 – Mike Trout’s game worn fielders’ glove from high school (LOA from Trout)
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $600 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Earlier this year, Goldin Auctions sold a Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $2.1 million. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. All game worn or autographed items come with team, player, league or additional LOA from industry leading authenticators; and collectors can bid with confidence that their proxy/ceiling bids remain confidential. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com or follow on Twitter @GoldinAuctions.