When the Goldin Auctions 2019 Summer Premium Live and Catalog Auction opened for bidding in July, it was obvious to everyone that some record sale prices would be set. And, by the time the final bid was placed, new records were established for trading cards and game-worn collectibles from familiar names including Honus Wagner, Mike Trout, Michael Jordan, Kris Bryant, Mike Schmidt and Pokemon as well as one unfamiliar name -Luis Robert.
The live auction, which closed on August 2, at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago was headlined by the record sale price of $442,800 for the only known Wagner game-used Louisville Slugger Model Signature Model 125 bat. Meanwhile, a dozen lots of Jordan memorabilia including jerseys, sneakers, trading cards and more sold for nearly $400,000. This include a 1997-98 game-worn playoff jersey ($137,376) and a record sale price of $81,180 for Jordan’s “first” Bull jerseys from his introductory press conference.
Six more industry records were set during the catalog auction including the highest price ever paid for cards of Trout, Bryant, Pokemon and White Sox minor leaguer Luis Robert, plus the highest price ever paid for a Mike Schmidt bat.
“This was truly a remarkable event and once again illustrates the health and vibrancy of the industry and the quality of the items we are offering,” said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions. “In addition to these individual records, we established new standards for the most individual bidders and bids Goldin Auctions has ever had in an auction. In fact, with $6 million in sales it was our second-highest grossing auction – trailing only the inaugural Great American Trading Card Auction which featured the $3.2 million sale of the Jumbo Wagner.”
Goldin Auctions is currently accepting consignments for the annual October Legends Auction and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Auctions in the fall. Here’s a look at some of the auction highlights. Record Prices are indicated with an *. The complete auction catalog is available at GoldinAuctions.com.
- Lot #4 – 1916-17 Honus Wagner Game Used Louisville Slugger Model 125 Bat – Only Known Wagner Authenticated Player Era Game Used Signature Model 125 Bat (PSA/DNA GU 8.5) — This stunning bat, which has never been offered at auction, is one of only two Wagner non-40K Louisville Slugger bats that have ever been graded. It is also the only Wagner 125 model that features his signature on the barrel and is the only known 125 signature model to be graded by PSA/DNA. Record price for any Wagner bat sold at auction (*RECORD PRICE: $442,800)
- Lot #109 – 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects #BDPP89 Mike Trout (Orange Refractor) Signed Rookie Card (#18/25) – BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 – (*RECORD PRICE: $186,960) – matches the sale by Goldin Auctions of a similar card of Trout earlier this year.
- Lot #111 – 2013 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks #KB Kris Bryant Superfractors Signed Rookie Card (#1/1) BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 – (*RECORD PRICE: $111,930)
- Lot #103 – 1999 Pokemon 1st Edition PSA GEM MT 10 Complete Set (103) Featuring #4 Charizard Example — (*RECORD PRICE: $107,010)
- Lot #35 – 1997-98 Michael Jordan Playoffs Game Used & Signed Chicago Bulls Road Jersey Photo Matched To 5/10/1998 (Bulls LOA, Resolution Photomatching & UDA) – (FINAL PRICE: $137,760)
- Lot #28 — Michael Jordan’s First Ever Bulls Jersey Photo Matched to Jordan Holding Following Signing First Contract with Bulls-9/12/84 (Sports Investors Authentication) – Record price for a non-game-worn jersey for any sport. –
(*RECORD PRICE: $81,180)
- Lot #83 — 1955 Jackie Robinson Game Used World Series Bat (PSA/DNA GU 9.5 & Letter of Provenance)- Fresh to the Hobby — (FINAL PRICE: $100,860)
- Lot #107 – 2003-04 “Ultimate Collection” #127 LeBron James Signed Rookie Card (#005/250) – BGS PRISTINE 10/BGS 10 – (FINAL PRICE: $76,260)
- Lot #42 – Babe Ruth Single Signed Baseball (PSA/DNA GEM MT 10) —
(FINAL PRICE: $59,040)
- Lot #104 – 2000 Playoff Contenders “Championship Rookie Ticket” #144 Tom Brady Signed Rookie Card (#100/100) PSA Authentic/Auto 9 (FINAL PRICE: $55,350)
- Lot #101 – 1993 Upper Deck SP Foil #279 Derek Jeter Rookie Card – SGC GEM MINT 10 – (FINAL PRICE: $51,660)
- Lot #182 – 2018 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs #CPALR Luis Robert Superfractor Signed Rookie Card (#1/1) BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS10 –
A record price for any card of this player (*RECORD PRICE: $51,660)
- Lot #97- 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA EX-MT 6 – (FINAL PRICE: $51,660)
- Lot #89 – John Havlicek’s Personal NBA’s 50 Greatest Players Signed Lithograph
– (FINAL PRICE: $51,660)
- Lot #120
– 1986 Mike Schmidt Game Used Rawlings 154A Model Bat Used for 7 Home Runs including Career #’s 475-477, 479-481, 483) – a record price for any Schmidt bat (*RECORD PRICE: $34,440)
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $700 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold a Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $3.12 million, Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, the Mike Piazza Post-9/11 home run jersey for $365,000, and the 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky PSA GEM MT 10 rookie card for a record $465,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. Goldin Auctions is the official auction partner of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the Jackie Robinson Foundation and the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. For more information, visit www.goldinauctions.com