The 2016 Goldin Auctions April Premium Live Auction set several new sales records as the 73 items sold for more than $2.9 million this Saturday night at the New York Yankees Steak House in New York City. The auction total will increase dramatically this week as Goldin Auctions offers an additional 1,100+ lots in a corresponding online auction through May 7 at www.GoldinAuctions.com. Additionally, Goldin Auctions is currently accepting consignments for its next live auction on Thursday, August 4, 2016 during the National Sports Collectors Convention in Atlantic City, NJ.
“Saturday night was an electric atmosphere at the NYY Steakhouse as attendees and absentee bidders were excited to bid upon the outstanding line-up of special memorabilia we were offering” said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions. “We are proud to have once again secured record prices for our consignors and especially proud that 73 of the 76 lots were sold.”
Five of the items setting new record sales prices in the auction included: 1922 Babe Ruth New York Yankees Contract ($549,000 – record price for a Ruth Yankees contract); (1955 Ted Williams Game Used Red Sox Road Jersey with Matching Pants MEARS A-9 ($183,000 – a record price for any Williams jersey); 1909-11 T-206 White Border Eddie Plank Trading Card PSA VG-EX 4 – one of just 75 in existence and just 12 with a grade this high ($100,040 – a record price for a Plank card at this grade); 1953 Bowman Color #59 Mickey Mantle PSA MINT 9 ($58,560 – – a record price for a ’53 Bowman Mantle); and an Historic Larry Bird Photo/Video-Matched Game Used Jersey from May 22, 1988 Playoff Game 7 vs Atlanta ($64,050 – a record for any Bird jersey).
A sixth record price of $365,000 (for a modern era jersey) was achieved for the 2001 Mike Piazza Post 9/11 HR Jersey. In an unprecedented decision, Goldin Auctions pulled the jersey in advance of the live auction and sold it privately to ensure it would remain on display in New York.
Here’s a look at some of the other marquee items that were sold on Saturday night:
- Lot #29 – Babe Ruth Circa 1912 St. Mary’s Era Used Right Handed Catcher’s Mitt from Babe Ruth Museum ($341,600)
- Lot #41 – Historic 1921 Document Establishing MLB’s “Office of Commissioner” signed by all of the owners and both league Presidents -18 Signatures (PSA/DNA) – ($103,700)
- Lot #9 – 1997-1998 Michael Jordan Photo Matched Game Used and Signed Bulls Road Jersey (3/17/98) (MeiGray/UDA) sixth NBA Championship Season ($91,500)
- Lot #19 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA NM-7-ST ($87,840)
- Lot #13 – High Grade 1939 Lou Gehrig Single Signed A.L. Baseball – Near Mint 7 Signature ($67,100)
- Lot#48 – Rare 1996-97 Michael Jordan Bulls Game Used Home Jersey ($46,360)
- Lot #24 – 1986 Gary Carter Personally Owned NY Mets World Series Trophy (Gary Carter LOA) ($40,260)
- Lot #32 – 1998 New York Yankees World Series Championship Player’s Ring – David Cone (PSA/DNA) ($40,260)
- Lot#15 – 1943 Homestead Grays Negro League Autographed Ball ($36,600)
- Lot #28 – Spectacular Autographed 11″x14″ Babe Ruth Photograph- PSA/DNA Gem Mint 10 ($26,840)
- Lot #11 – Thurman Munson Signed A.L. Baseball PSA/DNA 8.5 – Mint 9 Signature ($20,130)
About Goldin Auctions
Sports memorabilia impresario Ken Goldin has sold more than $600 million in memorabilia from many of the biggest names in sports, history and pop culture and was the pioneer of using the medium of television to sell sports memorabilia. Over the past few years, Goldin Auctions sold Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract for a record $1.02 million, a Honus Wagner T206 card for a public sale record $2.1 million and the Mike Piazza Post-911 home run jersey for $365,000. Goldin Auctions strives to break new ground and offer collectors the best in collectible treasures up for auction in the marketplace. All game worn or autographed items come with team, player, league or additional LOA from industry leading authenticators; and collectors can bid with confidence that their proxy/ceiling bids remain confidential. For more information, visitwww.goldinauctions.com.