With one of the most eclectic mixes of sports, entertainment and historical memorabilia ever offered in a single auction, it was no surprise that a host of record setting prices were realized when the Goldin Auctions October Legends Auction closed in the early hours this Saturday morning. But what was surprising, was that despite items from legendary sports and historical figures named Jordan, Ali, Mantle, Ruth and Kennedy on the block, it was a 4-page handwritten letter from rap and hip hop artist Tupac Shakur selling for a whopping $172,750 that stole the show. The letter was part of a 10-lot Tupac Shakur Collection that sold for $205,625. In all, more than $3.1 million worth of memorabilia was sold in the 1,500+ lot auction at www.GoldinAuctions.com.
“This remarkable letter from Tupac exemplifies what’s thrilling about the auction business as this recently discovered find caught the eye of several serious and well-heeled bidders who went back and forth for hours until this record-setting price was reached,” said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions. “We congratulate all of our consigners and bidders on being part of this historic night.”
Here’s a look at some of the marquee items and the final sale prices. For a look at the complete catalog, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com.
- Lots #34 – Tupac Shakur 4 Page Hand-Written Letter ($172,750) – A remarkable four-page handwritten essay Tupac wrote from his prison cell in 1995 to Nina Bhadreshwar at Deathrow Records. The handwritten letter tells his story to America’s Youth. In it, the rapper reflects on the story of his past, present and future. A little over a month after sending the letter, he was murdered in a Las Vegas drive-by-shooting. The price is believed to be a record for any Tupac Shakur item.
- Lot #19 – Bill Bucker’s 1986 World Series Glove ($106,575) – Worn by Buckner in one of the most famous plays in baseball history when Mookie Wilson’s grounder went through his legs. The glove was gifted by Buckner to famed collector Barry Halper, and the back of the fingers are signed “To My Pal Barry, Best Wishes Bill Buckner”. The glove comes with a letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA while the cleats include a full LOA from MEARS.The record price was nearly 20% more than it previously sold for at auction.
- Lot #21 – Bill Buckner’s Nike High Top Cleats ($6,737.50) – The cleats he wore in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.
- Lot #14 – Michael Jordan 1997-98 Game-Worn and Signed Bulls Black Road Jersey ($88,200) – Worn on Nov. 7, 1997 versus the Atlanta Hawks.
- Lot #323 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card SGC 84 NM7 ($82,075)
- Lot #324 – 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA NM7 (OC) ($32,462.50)
- Lot #2 – 1956 Stan Musial Game-used and Signed Cardinals Home Jersey ($73,500) – the finest one known (MEARS A10 PSA/DNA)
- Lot #341 – 1955 Topps #164 Roberto Clemente Rookie Card PSA NM-MT ($52,675)
- Lot #69 – Muhammad Ali Fight Word Gloves from his 1980 Fight VS Larry Holmes ($47,775)
- Lot #1369 – 2015-16 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers Final Season Photo Matched Home Uniform with Retirement Night Letter ($40,425) – Worn night of his retirement announcement and includes jersey & shorts. Photo matched to six games from that season.
- Lot #11 – Michael Jordan Rookie Season (1984-85) Nike Sneakers ($40,425)
- Lot #571 – Nate Archibald Basketball Hall of Fame Induction Ring ($36,750)
- Lot #24) – 1960-61 Wilt Chamberlain’s NBA Contract in which the young star was paid $50,000 by the Philadelphia Warriors. Signed by owner Eddie Gottlieb and Chamberlain, it comes with a full LOA from PSA/DNA. ($31,850)
- Lot #681 – 1921-31 Babe Ruth Game Used H&B Bat – Comes with a MEARS LOA ($31,850)
- Lot #8 – 1947 Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel Signed Original Flamingo Hotel Stock Certificate – ($26,950). The famed crime boss signed this Nevada Project Corporation Stock Certificate in his legal name (Benjamin Siegel) in black pen above the “President” line on the bottom right of the document. The date printed on the document is July 26, 1946.
- Lot #559 – 2000 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Ring – From rookie OL Sammie Williams with presentation box ($23,275)
- Lot #13 – 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Signed Complete Set – Includes 132 cards plus a complete 11-card sticker set – all PSA/DNA authentic ($20,825)
- Lot #477 – 1984-85 Star #101 Michael Jordan Autographed Rookie Card – BGS NM 7.5/JSA 8 ($15,925)
Goldin Auctions is currently accepting consignments for its annual Winter Auction through November 15. For more information, visit www.GoldinAuctions or email info@GoldinAuctions.com or call 609-767-8550.