Just a week after selling a Wayne Gretzky rookie card for $465,000 in its live auction in Atlanta City, NJ, Goldin Auctions sold Muhammad Ali’s boxing gloves from his epic 1971 fight with Joe Frazier for $606,375 on Saturday night during the Goldin Auctions Summer Catalog Auction at www.GoldinAuctions.com. In all the 1,500 lots of memorabilia that sold at the combined live and catalog auction generated $5.8 million in sales.
“The prices realized in our live and catalog auction this week reinforce that the sports memorabilia market is vibrant and that collectors are not only passionate for rare items from legendary figures like Ruth, Mantle, Jordan, Ali and Gretzky but also the burgeoning market for boxing, hockey and Olympic sports,” said Ken Goldin, Founder of Goldin Auctions.
Highlights from the catalog auction that closed on Saturday night included:
- Lot #41 – Muhammad Ali’s fight worn gloves from “The Fight of the Century” versus Joe Frazier in 1971 ($606,375)
- Lot #104 – 1996-97 Michael Jordan Bulls black road uniform (jersey and shorts) from 4/13/97 game versus Detroit. ($69,825)
- Lot #103 – Michael Jordan 1992 USA Basketball game used and signed full uniform (jersey and shorts) ($62,475)
- Lot #108 – Tupac Shakur handwritten lyrics from his personal notebook ($31,850)
- Lot #106 – 2014-15 Kobe Bryant Game Used Lakers home white jersey worn on 11/16/14 when Kobe scored a season high 44 points ($29,400)
- Lot #92 – 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics meteorite-embedded gold medal in presentation box. One of just 50 produced ($24,500)
- Lot #101 – 1978 Super Bowl X11 full game ticket for Cowboys-Broncos game. Graded PSA/DNA MT 8 (current bid $23,379)
- Lot #226 – 1991 Washington Redskins Player Super Bowl Ring – Terry Orr ($22,050)
- Lot #72 – 2013 Peyton Manning game used Broncos road jersey worn on 12-1-13 versus Kansas City during a game in which Manning threw five TD passes ($19,600)
- Lot #510 – 1976-2008 Yankee Stadium Locker used by such Yankee greats as Don Mattingly, Graig Nettles and most recently Mariano Rivera. Includes Steiner LOA ($19,600)
- Lot #1018 – Ichiro PSA 10 Trading Card Collection featuring 219 different Ichiro cards all graded PSA GEM MT 10 ($13,475)
- Lot #114 – Pete Rose Autographed Line-Up Card from the game in which he recorded hit 4,192 to surpass Ty Cobb’s MLB record ($11,637.50)
- Lot #98 – 1963 Mickey Mantle Topps #200 PSA MINT 9 ($11,637.50)
- Lot #988 – 1966-67 Topps #35 Bobby Orr Rookie Card KSA GEM MINT 10 ($11,025)
- Lot #110 – Ichiro Rookie Season Game-used and signed bat ($11,025)
- Lot #89 – Joe Frazier’s Jock Strap from the Fight of the Century ($10,412.50)
For a complete recap of the Goldin Auctions Summer Live and Catalog Auctions, visit www.GoldinAuctions.com. To consign and item for the company’s October Legends auction, contact Goldin Auctions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 856-767-8550. The company’s next auction will be a special high-grade trading card auction in September featuring the famed Jumbo T-206 Honus Wagner.