Grey Flannel Auctions, one of the nation’s leading sports memorabilia auction houses, is proud to present a host of incredible items in its fast-approaching 2023 Holiday Auction starting Monday, November 20 and concluding on December 10, 2023, including a bevy of game-used memorabilia from legends like Sandy Koufax, Roberto Clemente, Jerry West and Julius “Dr. J” Erving. More than 1,100 outstanding lots will be up for bid at www.GreyFlannelAuctions.com led by Koufax’s 1956 game-used baseball glove from only his second season in the majors and Clemente’s outfielder’s mitt from the ‘62 campaign, one in which he earned his second straight Gold Glove Award. Every major sport is represented in the online auction with extreme importance being placed on the provenance, authenticity and rarity of every item. Preview, Bid and Register for the auction here.
1956 Sandy Koufax Brooklyn Dodgers Game-Used Glove (PSA/DNA)
Three-time Cy Young Award winner Sandy Koufax was one of MLB’s greatest pitchers. The featured Rawlings leather fielder’s glove originates from when the then-20-year-old southpaw helped the Dodgers secure their second straight N.L. pennant and includes a pair of distinctive callouts to Koufax in black marker. His fading uniform number (“32”) can be found to the left of the wrist strap, while one of his nicknames (“Koo Foo”) is seen on the back of the pinky finger sleeve. Grey Flannel Auctions is excited to announce the sale of one of Koufax’s very first game-worn gloves from his prolific Hall of Fame career. The bidding on this gamer opens at $25,000.
“This is a rare find indeed, one that stretches back to Sandy’s earliest days in Major League Baseball,” said Michael Russek, Director of Operations at Grey Flannel Auctions. “His career speaks for itself and we’re confident this glove will generate plenty of action.”
1962 Roberto Clemente Pittsburgh Pirates Game-Used Glove (PSA/DNA)
Another game-used glove featured in this auction belonged to the late, great Roberto Clemente. A Hall of Fame right fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, his life ended tragically on Dec. 31, 1972, at age 38. A great humanitarian, he died in a plane crash while en route to deliver aid and supplies to victims of a deadly earthquake in Nicaragua. On the baseball diamond, his career was nothing short of spectacular: two World Series titles, 15-time All-Star, lifetime batting average of .317, and exactly 3,000 hits. Presented here is Clemente’s game-worn outfielder’s glove from the ‘62 season, one in which he batted .312 and recorded a .973 fielding percentage in the outfield with 270 putouts and 19 assists, winning his second consecutive Gold Glove. The bidding on this relic opens at $10,000.
“As a ballplayer, Roberto had few rivals. He was an incredible batter and just as accomplished in the outfield with his amazing arm and glove,” said Russek. “As a person, he defined what it means to be unselfish and was beloved by people across the globe. We feel very fortunate to share this special item with collectors worldwide and look forward to seeing what his game-used glove fetches at auction.”
1971-72 Jerry West L.A. Lakers Game-Used Jersey (Sourced From West)
Jerry West was known as “Mr. Clutch” during his Hall of Fame career with the L.A. Lakers. He guided the team to nine NBA Finals appearances and finally won the NBA title in 1972 after leading the team to a then-record 69 wins in the regular season. He was so revered that he remains the league’s “logo-man.” Post-career he is just as successful as an NBA executive as he has helped both the Lakers (six times) and the Golden State Warriors (twice) to NBA titles. Offered here is West’s game-worn Lakers home jersey from that remarkable ‘72 season in which he averaged 25.8 points and 9.7 assists per game. He was also named the All-Star Game MVP that same year. The bidding on this historic jersey opens at $5,000.
1976-77 Julius Erving 76ers All-Star Game MVP Player-Worn & Signed Rookie Warm-Up Jacket (Photo-Matched)
The high-flying acrobatic dunks of Hall of Famer Julius Erving still provide thrills for basketball fans around the world watching NBA highlight reels from yesteryear. A perennial All-Star selection who won two ABA titles and one NBA championship, “Dr. J” will always be in the conversation as one of the greatest players in hoops history. This Philadelphia 76ers warm-up jacket was worn by Erving throughout the 1976-77 season as well as at the 1977 NBA All-Star Game where he was named MVP. Photo-matched to two compelling game images, it includes Erving’s bold signature in black marker along the base of the right front tail. The bidding on this warm-up jacket opens at $5,000.
Circa 1977 “Pistol” Pete Maravich New Orleans Jazz Game-Used Uniform (Photo-Matched)
Hundreds of more cherished items are featured in the auction including the late Pete Maravich’s circa 1977 New Orleans Jazz game-used uniform (jersey and shorts). Considered one of the greatest ball handlers and showmen in NBA history, Maravich’s many scoring achievements included winning the league scoring title in 1977 while playing for the Jazz after averaging 31.1 points per game. Showing outstanding game wear, the jersey has been photo-matched and graded a perfect 10. Always up for a game of hoops, the Hall of Famer was playing in a pickup game in Pasadena, California in 1988 when he suddenly collapsed and died from a rare heart defect. He was just 40 years old. The bidding on this game-used uniform opens at $10,000.
The auction is set to begin on November 20, 2023. Bidding will be available online and interested buyers are encouraged to register early to ensure their participation. This is another great opportunity for sports enthusiasts and collectors alike to own coveted pieces of sports history. Bidding will close on December 10, 2023.
November 2023 Auction Highlights:
- 1956 Sandy Koufax Brooklyn Dodgers Game-Used Glove (PSA/DNA)
- 1971-72 Jerry West Los Angeles Lakers Game-Used Jersey (Sourced From West • Champ Season • Kinunen LOA)
- 1949-50 Sid Abel Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Clinching Game 7 Double OT Sweater (Photo-Matched To Multiple Images • Littered With Repairs)
- 1962 Roberto Clemente Pittsburgh Pirates Gold Glove Season Game-Used Glove (PSA/DNA LOA)
- Outstanding 1961 Ernie Davis Syracuse Orangemen Game-Used Jersey (Equipment Manager Provenance • Team Repairs • Heisman Season)
- Photo-Matched “Pistol” Pete Maravich New Orleans Jazz Game-Used Uniform (Graded 10)
- 4/18/1999 Wayne Gretzky NY Rangers Final Career Game Game-Used & Signed Stick (Teammate LOA • Full JSA)
- Photo-Matched Julius Erving Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Game MVP Player-Worn & Autographed Warmup Jacket (MEARS & JSA)
- Photo-Matched 1956 Gil Hodges Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Game-Used Home Flannel (All-Original • Player LOP)
- 1971 Pete Rose Cincinnati Reds Game-Used & Autographed Home Flannel (SGC Grob Superior)
- 10/22/2017 Drew Brees New Orleans Saints Game-Used & Autographed Jersey (NFL PSA/DNA LOA • Photo-Matched • Beckett Witnessed)
- 1969 Larry Csonka AFL Miami Dolphins Game-Used & Signed Jersey (Photo-Matched • Team Repairs)
- 9/14/1997 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins Game-Used & Autographed Jersey (Photo-Matched)
- 9/30/2001 Marshall Faulk St. Louis Rams Game-Used Jersey (Photo-Matched • Team Repair)
- 1994 Reggie White NFL Pro Bowl Game-Used Uniform (Photo-Matched • Family LOA)
- 1990 Joe Montana SF 49ers Game-Used & Autographed Jersey (Gift From Bronco Hinek • LOP From Oilers Video Coordinator • MVP Season)
- 2022 Tom Brady Tampa Bay Buccaneers Under Armour Game-Used Turf Shoes
- Late 1990s Deion Sanders Dallas Cowboys Game-Used & Autographed Nike Cleats (Sourced From Sanders)
About Grey Flannel Auctions
Grey Flannel Auctions has been the Standard Of The Industry for over 30 years. Family owned and operated out of Scottsdale, Arizona, Grey Flannel Auctions specializes in vintage game-used jerseys and high-end memorabilia. The 61st edition of the fully illustrated catalog detailing all lots up for bid is now available for viewing at www.GreyFlannelAuctions.com.