Grey Flannel Auctions, one of the nation’s leading sports memorabilia auction houses, is thrilled to offer one of hockey’s most historic game-worn jerseys – Wayne Gretzky’s final game sweater in which he scored his last NHL point – in its auction starting Monday, May 22, 2023 and ending on June 11, 2023. More than 1,350 premium lots will be up for bid at www.GreyFlannelAuctions.com including the late Pete Maravich’s coveted 1970 James A. Naismith College Player of the Year Trophy, a season in which he led the LSU Tigers to a 22-10 record while averaging a still-NCAA-record 44.5 points per game.
All major sports are represented in the online auction with great emphasis being placed on the provenance, authenticity and rarity of each item. are now available to preview and register at Grey Flannel Auctions’ website.
Gretzky’s Final NHL Jersey: Photo-Matched to Record-Setting Career Point
Wayne Gretzky is one of the greatest hockey players of all time and the final game of his illustrious NHL career (No. 1,487) was another historic moment in the sport’s history. The New York Rangers jersey he wore on that significant night at Madison Square Garden (April 18, 1999) against the Pittsburgh Penguins is a true collector’s item for any serious hockey fan.
Grey Flannel Auctions is thrilled to announce the fast-approaching sale of that very jersey, which Gretzky autographed and dated in black marker afterwards.
“We are incredibly honored to have the opportunity to offer this incredible piece of sports history to our customers,” said Michael Russek, director of Operations at Grey Flannel Auctions. “Wayne Gretzky is an icon in the world of hockey and his final game-worn jersey represents a truly unique and special part of his legacy.”
The official Starter jersey is in excellent condition and has been meticulously preserved since Gretzky wore it in his final game. Known as “The Great One,” the then-38-year-old Gretzky played 22 and a half minutes that night and recorded an assist for his 2,857th and final career point while wearing this jersey. No other player in NHL history has ever amassed 2,000 career points. Gretzky was immediately inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, which had waived the normal three-year mandatory waiting period by special exemption. The NHL also retired his jersey number (99) league-wide, making him the only player in the league’s history to receive this distinction. Prior to Gretzky’s final career game, “The Star-Spangled Banner” singer that evening, John Amirante, changed one of the lyrics to “in the land of Wayne Gretzky.” Not to be outdone, the Canadian anthem was also slightly altered by Bryan Adams who ad-libbed a line, replacing “O Canada, we stand on guard for thee” to “We’re going to miss you, Wayne Gretzky.”
Gretzky’s historic assist came on a beautiful set-up pass that led to fellow Hall of Famer Brian Leetch’s goal at the 19:30 mark of the second period. The jersey was featured in MSG’s “Defining Moments” Museum on the concourse level from 2013 to ‘19, but this auction marks the first time the historically significant relic is being offered publicly and includes a Photo-Match Letter of Authenticity from MeiGray as well as a letter from John Rosasco, the Rangers long-time Senior Vice President of Public Relations attesting to its authenticity on New York Rangers letterhead. The bidding on this relic opens at $50,000.
Pete Maravich’s 1970 LSU Tigers Naismith College Player of the Year Trophy
Also featured in this sale are items consigned directly from the family of “Pistol Pete” Maravich. The Basketball Hall of Famer recorded a remarkable collegiate season for the LSU Tigers in 1970. Already well-known for his incredible scoring ability, Maravich took his game to even greater heights during the 1969-1970 season, when he established himself as one of the most exciting and dominant players in college. He led the NCAA in scoring that year with an incredible 44.5 points per game, which still stands as the highest single-season scoring average in Division I men’s basketball history. “Pistol Pete” averaged at least 43 points per game in each of his three seasons at LSU. What makes his scoring total even more ridiculous is he played before the introduction of the three-point line. Maravich was also known for his flashy style of play, including behind-the-back passes and other dazzling moves. His slick ball-handling and jaw-dropping shooting prowess made him a fan favorite and helped bring attention to college hoops. Maravich’s incredible 1970 season established him as one of the greatest college basketball players of all time and he was later inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1987 following a 10-year NBA career. Presented here is Maravich’s James A. Naismith College Player of the Year Trophy from that season, sourced directly from the Maravich family. The bidding on this historic award opens at $25,000
“We are thrilled to offer Pete Maravich’s Player of the Year award in this auction. This award is a rare and highly sought-after piece of basketball history that represents a pivotal moment in Maravich’s career,” said Russek. “As one of the most talented and influential players of his time, Maravich’s impact on the game cannot be overstated. This award is a testament to his incredible skill and talent, and its historical significance makes it a truly remarkable find. We are excited to share this rare item with collectors and fans worldwide and we look forward to seeing the excitement it generates at auction.”
The auction will open in Grey Flannel Auctions’ Summer Games catalog which is set to open on May 22. Bidding will be available online and interested buyers are encouraged to register early to ensure their participation. This is truly a unique opportunity for sports enthusiasts and collectors to own treasured pieces of sports history. Bidding will close on June 11.
The Wayne Gretzky Collection Upcoming Auction Highlights:
- 4/18/1999 Wayne Gretzky NY Rangers Final Career Game-Used & Signed Jersey (Photo-Matched To Record Setting & Last Career Point • MSGs Defining Moments Museum • MeiGray)
- Photo-Matched 1980s Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers Game-Used Gloves (Oilers LOA)
- Wayne Gretzky’s 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers 500th Goal Scored Photo-Matched Skates (Shawn Chaulk LOA)
- Photo-Matched 4/18/1999 Wayne Gretzky NY Rangers Final Career Game-Used Stick (Teammate LOA)
- 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers Rookie Game-Used Stick (Hart Trophy Season • Great Provenance)
- 10/5/1996 Wayne Gretzk First NY Rangers Game-Used & Signed Stick (Inscribed & Gifted To His Agent • JSA)
- 1998 Wayne Gretzky Team Canada Nagano Winter Olympics Game-Used & Signed Stick (JSA)
- 1983 Wayne Gretzky Campbell Conference NHL All-Star Game Jersey (Sourced From The HHoF • MEARS A10
- Circa 1997 Wayne Gretzky NY Rangers Game-Used & Signed Gloves (Beckett & JSA)
- 1979 O-Pee-Chee #18 Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (PSA NM-MT 8)
Other Auction Preview Items Include:
- Beautiful 1940s Babe Ruth Single-Signed OAL Baseball (PSA & JSA LOAs)
- 1933 Woody English Inaugural MLB All-Star Game-Used National League Flannel Uniform (Photo-Matched • Exceedingly Rare)
- 1971-72 Jerry West LA Lakers Game-Used Satin Shorts (Silver Anniversary Patch)
- Frank Mason III Kansas Jayhawks Player Of The Year Awards & Big 12 Championship Rings
- 2012-13 LeBron James Miami Heat Game-Used & Signed Promo Sample Shoes (Photo-Matched • UDA)
- 2015 Will Ferrell “Takes the Field” LA Dodgers Spring Training Game-Used Uniform & Cap (Photo-Matched • MLB Auth)
- 2000-01 Kevin Garnett NBA Playoffs Game-Used Jersey (MeiGray Photo-Matched • Timberwolves LOA)
- 2005 LaDainian Tomlinson SD Chargers Game-Used Jersey (Chargers COA • Graded 10)
- 2022 Jaylen Brown Boston Celtics NBA Finals Game-Used Jersey (MeiGray Photo-Match LOA • Team-High 27 Points)
- 9/28/2011 Paul Goldschmidt Rookie Game-Used & Signed Jersey (Photo-Matched • “Shirts Off Our D-Backs” Night)
- Photo-Matched Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers Game-Used Gloves (Oilers LOA)
- Johnny Bench Game-Used Jersey (Pine Tar & Chest Protector Wear) & Game-Used Bat (PSA/DNA GU 9.5 • Caked With Tar)
- Photo-Matched 1981 Pete Rose Phillies Game-Used & Signed Batting Helmet From Record-Setting Season (PSA/DNA)
- 1975-76 Eddie Giacomin NY Rangers Game-Used Jersey (Giacomin LOA & Rare 50th Patch)
- Photo-Matched Spud Webb Sacramento Kings Game-Used & Signed Jersey (Graded 10 With Great Wear)
- Late 1920s NY Yankees Team Signed OAL Baseball with Ruth & Gehrig (JSA LOA)
- Photo-Matched 1996 Warren Sapp Tampa Bay Buccaneers Game-Used Jersey (Great Wear)
- Historic 1961 Roger Maris NY Yankees Game-Used Glove (MVP Season • PSA/DNA LOA)
- Photo-Matched 1967 Phil Niekro Atlanta Braves Game-Used & Signed Flannel & Cap (MLB ERA Leader Season)
For questions about any item in the auction, please call 631-288-7800 or email email@example.com.
Family-owned Grey Flannel Auctions (GFA) has been the Standard Of The Industry for more than 30 years. Headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, GFA specializes in vintage game-used jerseys and high-end autographs. The 54th edition of the company’s award-winning fully illustrated catalog is now available for viewing and online bidding through November 13, 2022 at GreyFlannelAuctions.com. For questions about any item in the auction, please call 631-288-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Grey Flannel Auctions:
Grey Flannel Auctions has been the standard of the sports memorabilia industry for more than 30 years. Family owned and operated from a gallery and offices in Scottsdale, Arizona, Grey Flannel Auctions specializes in vintage game-used jerseys and high-end autographs, and has represented consignments and estates from some of the most revered athletes across the entire realm of professional sports.