SCP Auctions’ 2022 Winter Premier Auction finished with a frenzy of bidding on Saturday, Feb. 5. Numerous bidders competed for the nearly 600 important sports cards and memorabilia lots offered in the sale, especially half of a Holy Grail of the hobby, a 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner graded PSA Authentic, that sold for $475,960.
There were some other strong cardboard sales in the Winter Premier as well. SCP rewrote the record books with an astonishing $161,215 result for a 1952 Topps Ed Mathews graded PSA NM-MT 8. A signed 1984-85 Star Co. Michael Jordan in a BGS NM-MT+ 8.5 grade with a perfect 10 autograph raked in an incredible $91,000. The always coveted 1980 Topps Larry Bird-Julius Erving-Magic Johnson rookie in a BVG Gem Mint 9.5 brought $37,668.
The rare original photo buyers were out in full force and brought major action to a category loaded with PSA/DNA Type 1 photos during the sale. A June 13, 1948, photo of “The Babe Bows Out,” believed to be the actual print used for the Herald Tribune the night the iconic image was shot, led the way with a final price of $62,256. A signed and inscribed Lou Gehrig photo (George Burke) from the Earle Combs Family Collection sold for $44,428. A 1950s original signed Marilyn Monroe photo with a rare PSA/DNA Mint 9 autograph brought $31,582, and a 1920 Shoeless Joe Jackson “Baseball Crook” photo went for $27,349.
The auction also included a variety of world-class results for highly desirable pieces of sports memorabilia. Championship jewelry was a hot commodity in the sale, particularly a 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup championship ring that went for a staggering $78,709. A pair of Converse shoes Michael Jordan wore and signed during the 1984 Olympic Trials brought $56,596, and a set of goggles game worn by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar surpassed all expectations by taking home $30,768.
The auction also offered some Atlanta Braves home run balls smacked in the clinching Game 6 of the 2021 World Series. The iconic moonshot by World Series MVP Jorge Soler that went straight out of Minute Maid Park in Houston garnered $70,745, while the homer hit by Freddie Freeman in the seventh inning to put the final nail in the Astros’ coffin sold for $23,351.
The ticket market continues to sizzle as well, with one iconic ticket setting itself apart in the auction. A ticket stub from Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks brought an amazing $30,343. The ticket from the famous Willis Reed Game is one of just two examples slabbed by PSA.
The auction was rounded out by the Northeastern Gentleman’s Basketball Collection, an assembly of nearly 30 items used by ABA, NBA, and even ABL players. Notable sales in that category included a 1968-69 ABA Champions Minnesota Pipers game worn shooting jacket that garnered $29,586, an early 1980s Kareem Abdul-Jabbar game worn and autographed Lakers jersey graded MEARS A10 that took home $27,584, and a 1967-68 Chico Vaughn ABA Pittsburgh Pipers warm-up jacket that sold for $17,788.
- 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner – PSA AUTHENTIC — $475,960
- Valuable 1952 Topps #407 Ed Mathews – PSA NM-MT 8 – RAZOR SHARP CORNERS — $161,215 (NEW WORLD RECORD FOR THIS CARD IN ANY GRADE)
- Signed 1984-85 Star Co Michael Jordan #101 – BGS NM-MT+ 8.5, AUTO 10 — $91,000
- 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Championship Ring – 14K GOLD WITH DIAMONDS AND RUBIES — $78,709 (NEW WORLD RECORD FOR ANY 2010 BLACKHAWKS RING)
- Jorge Soler’s 3-Run Blast Home Run Baseball from Final Game of the 2021 World Series – LETTER OF PROVENANCE — $70,745
- June 13, 1948 The Babe Bows Out By Nat Fein (First Copy – Evening Post/Tribune Newspaper) – PULITZER PRIZE WINNER OF RUTH – PSA/DNA TYPE 1 — $62,256
- 1984 Michael Jordan Olympic Trials Game Worn & Team-Signed Converse Basketball Sneakers – LETTER OF PROVENANCE FROM SON OF TEAM USA DOCTOR — $56,596
- Historical 1930’s Signed and Inscribed Lou Gehrig Original Photograph by George Burke – PERSONALIZED FROM GEHRIG TO EARLE COMBS – EARLE COMBS FAMILY LOA & PSA/DNA TYPE 1 — $44,428
- 1980-81 Topps Scoring Leaders Bird/Erving/Johnson – BVG GEM MINT 9.5 – ONLY (2) GRADED HIGHER! — $37,668
- Iconic Early-Mid 1980’s Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles Lakers Game Worn Goggles (HOLLYWOOD AGENT COLLECTION) — $30,768
- 1970 NBA Finals Los Angeles Lakers vs. New York Knicks Game 7 Ticket Stub (Knicks 1st Championship, Willis Reed Game) – PSA AUTHENTIC – POP OF 2! — $30,343
- 1968-69 ABA Champions Minnesota Pipers Game Worn Shooting Jacket — $29,586
- Early 1980’s Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles Lakers Game Worn & Autographed Home Jersey – MEARS A10, PSA/DNA LOA — $27,584
- 1920 Most Important & Historic Shoeless Joe Jackson “Baseball Crook” Original Photograph – EXTREME RARITY PUBLISHED AFTER BLACK SOX SCANDAL – ONE OF HIS MOST FAMOUS IMAGES – PSA/DNA TYPE 1 — $27,349
- C. 1920’s Multi-Signed OAL Featuring Ruth, Cobb, Walter Johnson, Collins, Speaker and More – EARLE COMBS FAMILY LOA & PSA/DNA LOA — $25,686
- 1957 Milwaukee Braves World Series Ring Presented to Outfielder Bill Bruton — $25,076
- 1995 Atlanta Braves World Series Championship Ring – PRESENTED TO STAFF MEMBER STROTHERS — $24,450
- Freddie Freeman’s Solo Home Run Baseball from Final Game of the 2021 World Series – LETTER OF PROVENANCE — $23,351
For more information, visit www.SCPauctions.com or call (949) 831-3700.