1948 Jackie Robinson Leaf rookie card
An American Classic! In spite of nearly insurmountable racial obstacles, the heroic Jackie Robinson transferred his Hall of Fame game from the Negro to the Big Leagues and ultimately into permanent immortality at Cooperstown. #42 is one of those select sporting figures who transcends championships, titles or personal accolades. In short, Mr. Robinson is one of the “faces” of 1950s Americana, the Civil Rights movement and of courage under fire. Graded NM 7 by PSA. The offered 1948 Leaf Baseball #79 Jackie Robinson rookie card is a fitting tribute to Brooklyn’s finest.
Babe Ruth signed 1929 Chicago Cubs ball
A remarkable treasure hits the block, with this Official American League baseball signed by (19), with “Babe” Ruth and (18) members of the 1929 Chicago Cubs National League Champions team. Stitched in red and blue, this ancient orb retains plenty of the Reach factory labeling, however the American League president facsimile signature on the east panel has faded beyond recognition. Few examples of 1929 Cubs team-signed balls are available, and the number of those also signed by the immortal Ruth, may indeed be limited to just this one. Filling out the roster of signers, are long deceased stars and fan favorites, among several prominent Hall of Famers, including the greatly prized “Hack” Wilson and Rogers Hornsby. Ruth’s autograph is one of the most distinct signatures on the ball, and those of Wilson and Hornsby are readily recognizable, though Wilson’s surname is modestly affected by a light abrasion, and Hornsby’s surname is located over the Reach logo.
1909 T206 White Borders Christy Mathewson “White Cap” Pose with Sweet Caporal Back – SGC 8
An Elite Eight! Graded 8 NM-MT by SGC. A standard of collecting excellence is available with the offered 1909 T206 White Borders Christy Mathewson “White Cap” pose crowned by a sparkling clean Sweet Caporal 150 Subjects advertising back. This 113 year-old wonder has survived the century in incredible condition by exhibiting four sharp corners, fresh white edges and gleaming color sequences. The front surface registration is flawless and the tougher pose illustration of the “Christian Gentleman” appears to “pop” from the blue-and-green background setting. A turn-of-the-century masterwork which survives as the highest graded of the player/pose/brand combination judged by SGC. In fact, of the 2,260 total Mathewson cards of all poses and brands (as of writing) judged by the service, the offered relic survives as 1 of 5 to have achieved 8 NM-MT status (top 99.7%) with only one better.
Other items being offered in Huggins & Scott’s holiday auction include: 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams – PSA EX+ 5.5, 1909 Pittsburgh Pirates Team Composite Pocket Mirror Featuring Honus Wagner T206 Horner Image, 2003-2006 Ichiro Suzuki Autographed Game-Used Mizuno Bat – PSA/DNA GU 10 and 1998-99 Skybox Premium Basketball Star Rubies #23 Michael Jordan #46/50 – Beckett 8.5 NM-MT+.
Other Highlights Include:
- 1917 Collins-McCarthy #147 Babe Ruth – PSA Poor 1 (mc)
- 1948 Leaf Baseball #79 Jackie Robinson Rookie PSA NM 7 – Sharp!
- T206 Christy Mathewson “White Cap” Pose with Sweet Caporal Back – SGC 8 NM-MT
- 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams – PSA EX+ 5.5
- Monumental 1953-1970 Connie Mack Stadium Original Main Entrance Sign
- Bold Lou Gehrig Cut Signature in Framed Display – Full PSA/DNA
- 1952 Topps Baseball #261 Willie Mays Rookie – PSA EX 5
- Babe Ruth & 1929 NL Champs Cubs Signed Baseball – JSA
- 1933 Goudey Baseball #149 Babe Ruth – SGC 20 Fair 1.5
- Multi-Signed Old-Timers Baseball (10 Signatures) with Cobb – Full PSA/DNA
- Ichiro Suzuki Autographed Game-Used Mizuno Bat – PSA/DNA GU 10 LOA & Full JSA
- 1953 Topps Baseball #82 Mickey Mantle – PSA VG-EX+ 4.5
- 1986-87 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan Rookie – PSA NM-MT 8
- 1987-88 Fleer Basketball Unopened Wax Box of (36) Packs – BBCE Wrapped
- 1998-99 Skybox Premium Star Rubies #23 Michael Jordan #46/50 – Beckett 8.5 NM-MT+
- Michael Jordan Single-Signed Wilson Jordan Photo Logo Basketball with Full JSA