Love of the Game AuctionsSummer, 2015 auction is in progress. The auction closing date is Saturday, August 8. The sale features sports and non-sports cards and memorabilia from the late 19th Century to the present, highlighted by an impossibly rare and remarkable 1930 Lou Gehrig game-used, photo-matched bat.
The bat, which has been graded GU 9 by PSA/DNA, is one of the most rare and valuable of all game-used bats, and is the only known Lou Gehrig bat to be photo-matched.
Other Highlights Include:
- Impossibly high-grade 1911 Zeenut Roy Akin – SGC NM 84
- Incredible 1910 T209 Contentnea Cigarettes Billy Luyster – SGC NM 84
- Very scarce 1933 Worch Cigars Lou Gehrig – PSA VG-EX 4
- 1921 Henry Johnson Confectioners Wally Schang
- Rare 1911 T217 Mono Cigarettes Carl Mitze
- 1916 Mall Theatre #181 Oscar Vitt
- 1950 Topps Felt Back Joe Paterno
Quality Complete Sets at Love of the Game Auctions
- Fantastic 1909-11 T206 Near Complete Set (518/524) w/337 graded, 1940 Playball Complete Set (240) w/51 graded
- Unbelievably high-grade 1967 Topps Football complete set (132), all but one PSA NM-MT 8 or better, gorgeous 1962 Topps baseball complete set
- 1961 Topps Complete Set (587) and 1957 Topps complete set (407)
- 1936 Exhibits Four-On-One Complete, SGC-Graded Set
- 1958-63 Hartland Statues Complete Set w/Little Leaguer
- 1958 Topps Complete Set (494), 1963 Topps Complete Set (576)
- Beautiful 1960 Topps Complete Set (572)
- 1959 Topps Complete Set (572), 1953 Bowman B/W Complete Set (64)
A taste of the great cabinets in our current auction
- Astonishing 1888-1889 N173 Old Judge King Kelly – SGC EX/NM 80, Stunning N173 Old Judge Cap Anson – SGC VG 40
- Spectacular 1888-89 N173 Old Judge John Clarkson (Batting – New Pose), SGC EX 60, Splendid 1911 T5 Pinkerton Honus Wagner
- 1895 N566 Newsboy Cabinets John Ward – SGC VG/EX 50, 1902-11 W600 Sporting Life Nap Lajoie – SGC PR 10
- 1910-11 T3 Turkey Red Hugh Jennings – SGC EX+ 70, 1910 Plow Boy Tobacco Shano Collins – SGC VG 40
Outstanding T206 Near-Set (518/524) w/337 Graded!
Lot #4 in our current auction is a fantastic T206 near-set, with 337 beautiful graded examples. The set features 518 cards (all but the “big four” plus the Demmitt and O’Hara variations). An outstanding collecting achievement that includes all the remaining difficult variations, all the Hall of Famers and the tough Southern Leaguers. In addition, the set includes some of the things that T206 collectors treasure: a few tough backs, a host of collector-grade examples that present far better than their grades, and even a handful of original owner back stamps.
To make things even more appealing to the graded card collector, 337 of the finest cards in the set have been graded, almost exclusively by SGC.
The collector who assembled this set did so by diligently acquiring both individual cards and large lots, culling the finest examples for grading and leaving the remaining examples ungraded. The result is an extremely appealing group of graded cards, most of which are far more appealing than the technical grade. Each of these cards has been very carefully chosen by the collector, who has an excellent eye for attractive T206 cards. The remaining 181 cards in the set are ungraded (just six of these are Hall of Famers), primarily collector grade with various elements of wear.
A remarkably attractive set, representing an amazing hobby achievement – the near completion of The Monster, incuding all the obtainable Hall of Famers and Southern Leaguers, including 337 tremendously attractive midgrade cards.
Fantastic Autographed Items
Led by an extraordinary 1906 Scranton Miners team postcard signed by Moonlight Graham (the only known signature of Graham from his playing days), our Summer auction is host to quite a few amazing autographs from Hall of Famers and legends of the game alike. The autographs include cards, photos, cuts, baseballs, scorecards, and more!
- Spectacular 1940 Eddie Collins signed player assignment contract, exceptional 1944 Mickey Cochrane handwritten & twice-signed letter, gorgeous Hank Greenberg signed photo
- Ultra-rare Al Simmons single-signed baseball, Signed 1958 Topps Roberto Clemente, Rare Will Harridge, Ford Frick & Bill Rigney signed baseball
- Beautiful Lou Gehrig framed cut signature display (JSA)
- Bold Thurman Munson Signed 3×5″ Card, Beautiful 2010 Historic Autographs Roger Maris (1/1)
- Gorgeous Honus Wagner framed cut signature display (JSA)
Spectacular 1916 Mendelsohn Cards!
The Felix Mendelsohn-produced cards of 1916, with their 22 different back varieties are, in our opinion, among the hobby’s most interesting prewar issues, and still count among the hobby’s great values.
Our current auction includes 33 different Hall of Famers and stars from the Famous & Barr issue including Ruth, Jackson, Lajoie, and just about all the other important cards in the set.
In addition, the auction features cards from many of the other Mendelsohn-produced sets, including Altoona Tribune, Everybody’s, Weil Baking, Globe Stores, Holmes to Homes Bread, Indianapolis Baking, Gimbels, Herpolsheimer, Mall Theatre, Sporting News, and Ware’s.