Love of the Game Auctions spring, 2020 Premier Auction is open for bidding. Love of the Game Auctions, an internet-based sports auction house catering to the passionate collector of cards and memorabilia,the auction is now open for bidding. The auction closing date is Saturday, April 11, 2020. Bid, register and view the auction at loveofthegameauctions.com/catalog.aspx.
Bidding continues at Love of the Game Auctions, an internet-based sports auction house catering to the passionate collector of cards and memorabilia.
The auction closing date is Saturday, April 11. The sale features one of the strongest selections of sports cards and memorabilia in its history, and is highlighted by one of the most valuable baseball cards it has ever handled: an impossibly rare 1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb Back. A recent discovery, the card has been graded by PSA, and is one of just two dozen known examples.
Also featured is a rare, complete set of 1914 Cracker Jack baseball cards, almost entirely PSA-graded and offered individually, card-by-card. The set cumulatively ranks at #5 on the PSA Set Registry, with a beautiful example of Shoeless Joe Jackson, graded PSA VG+ 3.5, and a Christy Mathewson graded PSA 1. Cumulatively, the set boasts a weighted GPA of 3.87.
“Over the years, we have been fortunate to have handled quite a few Cracker Jack collections,” said Auction Director Al Crisafulli. “This is, by far, the finest, and the most complete. It was assembled by a dedicated collector who built the set card-by-card, looking for the finest examples he could find. And this set is extra special – not only does it include the complete, 144-card 1914 set, but it also includes the 32 ‘new’ cards that were issued in 1915, plus the seven pose and player variations that were changed from 1914 to 1915. It is truly an incredible set, and will give every Cracker Jack collector the opportunity to chase after those hard-to-find cards they’ve been chasing for years.”
The auction also features a large selection of game-used memorabilia from the Ted Patterrson collection, highlighted by a beautiful 1957-67 Raymond Berry Baltimore Colts jersey, graded A10 by MEARS.
“Ted’s game-used collection is spectacular,” explained Crisafulli. He worked as a sportscaster for decades, and was an avid collector the entire time. Most of the jerseys, bats and caps in his collection were obtained directly from the players, or from the equipment managers of various ballclubs.”
Crisafulli explained that his favorite jersey in this auction was a beautiful 1964 Robin Roberts Baltimore Orioles flannel road jersey. “It’s in great shape, and was worn toward the end of Roberts’ career. I think today, Roberts’ career is overshadowed by a lot of the bigger-name pitchers of his era, but many people don’t realize he won 20 games six years in a row. He was a heck of a pitcher.”
1919 Black Sox Collection
The auction also includes a large collection of memorabilia related to the 1919 Chicago White Sox/Cincinnati Reds World Series. From programs to ticket stubs, cards and memorabilia to autographs, the collection is comprised of 85 different lots, including five different World Series ticket stubs. The collection includes a large assortment of tough-to-find autographs from figures associated with the Black Sox Scandal, including Arnold Rothstein, Frank Shellenback, Greasy Neale, Chick Gandil, Eddie Murphy, Swede Risberg, and even Mrs. Joe Jackson.
Tickets, Passes and Programs
Over the years, Love of the Game has built a reputation for being an outstanding source for rare tickets, passes and game programs. In addition to the outstanding grouping of 1919 World Series tickets, this auction includes a complete PSA-graded collection of tickets, stubs and passes to the 1956 World Series, a host of early World Series ticket stubs (including a run of five stubs to the Yankees’ first World Championship in 1923), stubs from Roger Maris’ record-tying and record-breaking home run, and an amazing lifetime Major League pass owned by Yankees’ catcher and team captain, Thurman Munson.
Signed Rookie Cards
Love of the Game has also become an outstanding source for autographed vintage cards, and this auction is no exception. Though the signed cards are highlighted by an outstanding 1916 Famous & Barr card signed by Hall of Famer Casey Stengel, the auction features a host of outstanding Hall of Fame rookie cards, including Whitey Ford, Al Kaline, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Brooks Robinson, Carl Yastrzemski, Billy Williams, Pete Rose, Steve Carlton, Nolan Ryan, Rod Carew, Johnny Bench, Mike Schmidt, football Hall of Famer Jim Brown, basketball Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, and many more.
“First Card” Collection
The “rookie card craze” has extended from baseball into other sports, but the Spring LOTG auction also includes one of the most interesting “rookie card” collections the company has ever seen – including less-popular sports like chess, horse racing, track and field, soccer, and auto racing, as well as politics, literature, and other facets of history. Interested in the rookie card of Geronimo? Marie Curie? William Shakespeare? Mark Twain? Winston Churchill? Charles Lindbergh? Love of the Game offers those and many, many more.
Keeping in line with Love of the Game auctions’ specialties, the sale features a large selection of 19th and early 20th Century cards and memorabilia, a host of seldom-seen or unique items, an exceptional grouping of tough prewar type cards, and a number of seldom-seen vintage baseball photos. One of the company’s finest auctions yet, Love of the Game continues to build its reputation as an auction house for unusual items that you don’t see every day.
The final date to bid is Saturday, April 11. To register for the auction and review the selection online, visit http://www.loveofthegameauctions.com.
Love of the Game is in the process of assembling its Summer, 2020 catalog auction, which they hope will prove to be its biggest and most exciting auction yet. For more information, or to consign your valuable material, contact Love of the Game at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 750-6366..
The Spring Premier auction is open, with a close date of April 11, 2020.
General Highlights include:
- A 1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb with rare Ty Cobb back
- The finest game-worn jersey from Hall of Famer Raymond Berry, graded A10 by MEARS
- More than 30 game-used bats from the Ted Patterson collection, including clubs wielded by Hall of Famers Reggie Jackson, Cal Ripken, Dave Winfield, Robin Yount, Carl Yastrzemski and more
- A Carlton Fisk game-worn jersey from the Red Sox’ heartbreaking 1975 season
- An extraordinary 1933 Washington Senators panoramic photo signed by all 28 players (including Hall of Famer Goose Goslin twice)
- A large collection of autographs, tickets, and programs related to the 1919 “Black Sox.”
The Spring, 2020 Love of the Game Auction includes more than 80 lots related to the 1919 White Sox and Reds, including rare ticket stubs, game programs, autographs, and more!
- Lot #231 – 1919 World Series Game 1 Redland Field Ticket Stub – PSA VG 3 – “The fix is in!”
- Lot #262 Rare 1922 Arnold Rothstein signed letter (Beckett)
- Lot #257 Frank Shellenback Single-Signed Baseball (JSA)
- Lot #228 Rare 1919 Cincinnati Reds World Series Yearbook
- Lot #230 1919 World Series Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago White Sox Redland Field Gm 1 Ticket Stub – PSA PR 1
- Lot #233 1919 World Series Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago White Sox Comiskey Park Game 3 Ticket Stub – PSA A
- Lot #292 Rare Charles “Swede” Risberg Signed 3″ x 5″ Card (PSA/DNA NM-MT 8)
- Lot #224 1919 Chicago White Sox vs. Detroit Tigers Comiskey Park Official Program
- Lot #254 Earle “Greasy” Neale Single-Signed Baseball (JSA)
- Lot #261 Fascinating Judge Landis Signed Handprint Letter (PSA/DNA)
- Lot #256 Ray Schalk & Urban Faber (HOF) Dual-Signed Baseball (JSA)
- Lot #229 1919 Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago White Sox Official World Series Program
- Lot #232 1919 World Series Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago White Sox Redland Field Gm 1 Ticket Stub – PSA A
- Lot #234 1919 World Series Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago White Sox Redland Field Game 6 Ticket Stub – PSA A
- Lot #281 Tough Chick Gandil Signed 3″ x 5″ Card (PSA/DNA MINT 9)
- Lot #227 1919 New York Yankees vs. Chicago White Sox Official Program w/Joe Jackson & other Black Sox
- Lot #253 Harry “Nemo” Leibold Single-Signed Baseball (JSA)
- Lot #267 1948 Joe Jackson Photo Ghost-Signed by Mrs. Joe Jackson (PSA/DNA)
Love of the Game’s fall sale features a host of game-worn items, from the 1950s to the 2000s, with impeccable provenance, including:
- LOT #2: The finest-known 1957-67 Raymond Berry (HOF) Baltimore Colts Home Jersey, graded A10 by MEARS.
- LOT #3: 1964 Robin Roberts (HOF) Baltimore Orioles Game-Worn Road Flannel – MEARS A8
- LOT #4: 1975 Brooks Robinson (HOF) Baltimore Orioles Road Jersey – MEARS A10!
- LOT #498: Outstanding 1950 Eddie Stanky New York Giants Home Flannel Jersey – MEARS A9
- LOT #503: Carlton Fisk (HOF) 1975 Game-Worn Boston Red Sox Road Jersey – MEARS A10!
- LOT #508: Carl Yastrzemski (HOF) 1983 Boston Red Sox Game-Worn Road Jersey – MEARS A10
- LOT #504: Outstanding 1958 Bob Feller Cleveland Indians Post-Career Full Flannel Road Uniform – MEARS A10!
- Lot #511: Vida Blue 1971-72 Oakland Athletics Game-Worn Cap (MEARS)
- Lot #514: Gaylord Perry (HOF) 1978-79 San Diego Padres Game-Worn Cap (MEARS) – not a touch of Vaseline!
- Lot #507: 1984 Al Kaline (HOF) Detroit Tigers Post-Career Home Uniform – MEARS A10Lot #512: Brooks Robinson (HOF) 1975-76 Baltimore Orioles Game-Worn Cap (MEARS)
- Lot #518: 1982 Cal Ripken, Jr., Baltimore Orioles Game-Worn Rookie-Era Cap (MEARS)
- Lot #500: 1972 Frank Robinson (HOF)/Marv Galliher Game-Worn Spring Training Jersey – MEARS A7
- Lot #499: Gorgeous 1971-72 Chicago White Sox Satin Dugout Jacket (MEARS AUTH)
Game-used bats at Love of the Game:
- Lot #494 – 1987 Mike Schmidt model likely used during the 1987 All-Star game!
- Lot #486 – 1983-86 Cal Ripken, Jr. (HOF) Baltimore Orioles Game-Used & Signed Louisville Slugger – PSA/DNA GU 8.5
- Lot #487 – 1977 Brooks Robinson (HOF) Game-Used & Signed Louisville Slugger – PSA/DNA GU 8
- Lot #470 – 1980-83 Rod Carew (HOF) Game-Used Louisville Slugger – PSA/DNA GU 9.5
- Lot #471 – 1980-83 Gary Carter (HOF) Montreal Expos Game-Used and Signed Louisville Slugger PSA/DNA GU 9
- Lot #479 – 1991 Paul Molitor (HOF) Milwaukee Brewers Game-Used Cooper Bat, Possibly Used for his 2000th Hit (PSA/DNA GU 9)
- Lot #478 – 1992-95 Don Mattingly New York Yankees Game-Used & Signed Worth Bat – PSA/DNA GU 9.5
- Lot #488 – 1970-72 Frank Robinson (HOF) Baltimore Orioles Game-Used Louisville Slugger – PSA/DNA GU 9
- Lot #477 – 1987 Reggie Jackson (HOF) Oakland A’s Game-Used & Signed Adirondack Bat – PSA/DNA GU 9
- Lot #495 – 1991-93 Robin Yount (HOF) Milwaukee Brewers Game-Used & Signed Louisville Slugger – PSA/DNA GU 9
- Lot #493 – 1981-83 Carl Yastrzemski (HOF) Boston Red Sox Game-Used Louisville Slugger Bat (PSA/DNA GU 8.5)
Autographed Cards at Love of the Game!
- Lot #793 An outstanding 1916 Famous & Barr Casey Stengel!
- Lot #804 Gorgeous signed 1933 Goudey #42 Eddie Collins (HOF) – PSA/DNA NM 7
- Lot #822 Outstanding signed 1954 Topps #128 Hank Aaron (HOF RC) – Signature graded GEM MINT 10!
- Lot #827 Stunning 1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax (HOF RC) – Signature graded GEM MINT 10!
- Lot #839 Signed 1965 Topps #477 Steve Carlton (HOF RC) – Signature graded GEM MINT 10!
- Lot #853 Signed 1996 Perez-Steele Hall of Fame Postcards Richie Ashburn (HOF) – VERY tough!
- Lot #817 Signed 1939-46 Exhibit Jimmy Foxx (HOF) – PSA/DNA
- Lot #828 Signed 1957 Topps #328 Brooks Robinson (HOF RC) – Signature graded GEM MINT 10!
- Lot #833 Signed 1960 Topps Carl Yastrzemski (HOF RC) Signature graded GEM MINT 10 by JSA!
- Lot #843 Signed 1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan (HOF RC) – Signature graded GEM MINT 10!
- Lot #860 Signed 2001 Perez-Steele Hall of Fame Postcards Kirby Puckett (JSA)
- Lot #847: 1973 Topps #615 Mike Schmidt (HOF RC) – PSA/DNA – Signed by All Three Subjects!
Cracker Jack Baseball at Love of the Game – We’re thrilled to offer the most complete collection of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jack baseball cards we’ve ever seen in one place: a full 1914 set, plus the 32 additional cards issued in 1915, PLUS all 7 pose and player variations! The 1914 set ranks #5 on the PSA Set Registry! Auction closes April 11 – there’s still plenty of time to bid!
- Lot #11 – Rare and Desirable 1914 Cracker Jack #88 Christy Mathewson (HOF) – PSA PR 1
- Lot #9 – Stunning 1914 Cracker Jack #103 Shoeless Joe Jackson – PSA VG+ 3.5
- Lot #79 – 1914 Cracker Jack #68 Honus Wagner (HOF) – PSA VG 3
- Lot #98 – Extremely tough 1914 Cracker Jack #87 Hick Cady – PSA VG-EX 4
- Lot #142 – 1914 Cracker Jack #133 Branch Rickey (HOF) – PSA VG-EX 4
- Lot #109 – 1914 Cracker Jack #99 Frank Chance (HOF) – PSA VG 3
- Lot #10 – Gorgeous 1914 Cracker Jack #30 Ty Cobb (HOF) – SGC VG+ 3.5
- Lot #67 – 1914 Cracker Jack #57 Walter Johnson (HOF) – PSA GOOD 2
- Lot #102 – Ultra-rare 1914 Cracker Jack #93 Del Pratt – PSA FR 1.5
- Lot #72 – 1914 Cracker Jack #61 Ray Schalk (HOF) – PSA NM 7 (1/3, 1 Higher)
- Lot #76 – 1914 Cracker Jack #65 Tris Speaker (HOF) – PSA VG-EX 4
- Lot #51 – 1914 Cracker Jack #39 Chick Gandil – PSA VG-EX 4
Rookie Cards at Love of the Game:
- Lot #690 2017 Panini Immaculate Collection Rookie Premium Patch #PR-PM Patrick Mahomes – BVG MINT 9
- Lot #748 1888 N2 Allen & Ginter Geronimo – PSA NM 7
- Lot #715 1935 Muratti Cigarettes #49 Jesse Owens (RC) – PSA NM 7
- Lot #695 2000 Pacific #403 Tom Brady (HOF) – PSA GEM MINT 10
- Lot #766 1964 Mister Softee The Beatles – PSA GEM MINT 10 (1/4)
- Lot #734 1996 S.I. For Kids Series 3 #536 Tiger Woods (RC) – PSA NM-MT 8
- Lot #739 2003 Stadion World Stars #627 Michael Phelps (RC) – PSA MINT 9 (1/3, None Higher)
- Lot #749 1888 N76 W. Duke & Sons Great Americans Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain) – PSA EX-MT 6
- Lot #709 1964 Chocolates Simon #87 Cassius Clay (HOF RC) – PSA VG-EX 4
- Lot #731 1992 Stadium Club Beam Team #21 Shaquille O’Neal (HOF RC) – PSA GEM MINT 10
- Lot #755 1919 Guerin-Boutron Marie Curie – SGC GOOD 2
- Lot #729 1978 Wrestling Annual Ric Flair (RC) – PSA GEM MINT 10
- Lot #769 2012 Fringe #A16 Meghan Markle (Amy Jessup) Autograph – PSA GEM MINT 10
Interested collectors can register to bid on the company’s website.