The world’s largest collectibles auctioneer has launched its second offering of The David Hall T206 Collection, featuring a full set of the hobby’s most celebrated tobacco issue. The auction contains nearly all of “The Monster’s” most elusive rarities — Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb with Cobb back and Eddie Plank among them — with only the ultra-scarce Joe Doyle NY Nat’l card missing from the impressive assembly. The aggregate GPA of 6.89 ranks the No. 2 T206 set on the PSA Set Registry.
“David is a true hobby legend,” noted Chris Ivy, Director of Sports Auctions for Heritage. “Only the most knowledgeable and resourceful of collectors could piece together a T206 set of this condition and comprehensiveness. This is an event no serious tobacco card collector could ignore.”
An extremely rare Ty Cobb brand tobacco tin is also included among the offerings, representing the finest exemplar of the handful of known examples.
Each card is being sold as an individual lot, without reserve. The sale will close in Extended Bidding format at 10 p.m. CST, Thursday, Sept. 19.
Other highlights include:
- 1909-11 T206 Uzit Sam Crawford (With Bat), PSA NM-MT 8, one of the finest Uzit T206 cards known
- 1909-11 T206 Polar Bear Ty Cobb (Red Portrait), PSA NM-MT 8, none higher
- 1909-11 T206 Polar Bear Bill O’Hara (St. Louis), PSA NM 7, highest of two known
- 1909-11 T206 Sovereign 150 Ty Cobb (Green Portrait), PSA NM 7, none higher
- 1909-11 T206 Old Mill Ty Cobb (Bat off Shoulder), PSA NM-MT 8, highest of two known
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 150/30 Ty Cobb (Bat on Shoulder), PSA NM+ 7.5
- 1909-11 T206 Old Mill Christy Mathewson (White Cap), PSA NM-MT 8, none higher
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Walter Johnson (Hands at Chest), PSA NM-MT 8