SCP Auctions is proud to present “The Bill ‘Moose’ Skowron Collection” in our fast-approaching 2014 Fall Premier (Nov. 19 to Dec. 6). A total of 75 lots will be featured covering everything from his multiple World Series rings to game-used bats used for personal milestones (i.e., 1,500 career hit and his 200th career home run) to team-signed New York Yankees baseballs from the 1950s.
Bill “Moose” Skowron was born on December 18, 1930, in Chicago. When he was just seven years old, his grandfather gave him a haircut that left him looking a lot like Italian dictator Benito Mussolini. His friends promptly started calling him “Mussolini” before his family eventually shortened the nickname to “Moose.” The nickname stuck.
Best known as a member of the great Yankees teams of the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, Skowron played for five teams over the course of a 14-year career that spanned from 1954 to 1967. He won four World Series titles with the Yankees (1956, ‘58, ‘61 and ‘62) and another with the Los Angeles Dodgers (1963).
Skowron also had an impressive collection of personalized memorabilia he received from longtime teammate Mickey Mantle, as well an assortment of single-signed “500 Home Run Club” baseballs from sluggers including Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and Mantle.
The Bill “Moose” Skowron Collection Highlights Include:
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s 1956 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s 1962 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s 1977 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring
- October 10, 1956 World Series Game 7 Grand Slam Home Run Baseball Hit by Bill “Moose” Skowron Helping New York Yankees Clinch Series vs. Brooklyn Dodgers
- Wood Laminated Photo of “Moose” Skowron with 1963 L.A. Dodger Teammates (Incl. Drysdale, Howard, Perranowski, and Willie & Tommy Davis) Signed & Personalized By Each
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s Collection of (8) H&B Commemorative Black Bats Incl. 1956, 1958 & 1961-1963 World Champions and 1955, 1957 & 1960 Al Champions
- Mickey Mantle Autographed 14 X 18 Framed Photo (With Skowron) Personalized With Comical Message to “Moosima”
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s Signed 1952 New York Yankees Player Contract – His First Big League Contract
Other Collection Highlights Include:
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s 1953 New York Yankees World Series Championship Ring – Made For Skowron and Gifted By Hank Bauer
- Lot of (10) Mickey Mantle Single Signed OAL (Brown) Baseballs
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s New York Yankees Heroes in Pinstripes Ring
- Mickey Mantle Autographed OAL (Brown) Baseball Dated 10/2/1994 and Inscribed with Profane Message to His Buddy “Moose”
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s New York Yankees Old Timers’ Day Ring
- Bill “Moose” Skowron’s 2003 American League All-Star Ring Earned As Chicago White Sox Community Relations Staff
- Lot of (12) Mickey Mantle, Hank Bauer and Bill “Moose” Skowron Triple Signed 8 X 10 Black & White Photos
- Lot of (12) Yogi Berra and Don Larsen Dual Signed & Inscribed “10/8/1956” OML (Selig) Baseballs
- Pair of New York Yankee Legend Multi Signed OAL (Brown) Baseballs Including Mantle, Maris, DiMaggio, Berra, Larsen and “Moose”
- Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and Bill “Moose” Skowron Triple Signed Baseball – Notated With Each Players’ 1961 Home Run Total