SCP Auctions will be auctioning off the Bill Riddell Collection in the upcoming November auction. Bill Riddell passed away on August 26, 2014, at the age of 58 following a brief battle with pancreatic cancer. Bill was both an avid sports memorabilia collector and also one of the industry’s earliest authorities on vintage and game used baseball bats.
A physical education teacher and baseball coach for 32 years at Tewinkle Middle School in Costa Mesa, California, he co-authored the book “BATS” that was released in 1995. It remains a go-to source in the hobby for key information on Hillerich & Bradsby and Adirondack professional model bats from 1950 to 1994.
Over the course of 30 years, Riddell quietly cultivated an impressive and impeccable personal collection of vintage and modern-era bats and other significant baseball memorabilia. SCP Auctions is honored to feature “The Bill Riddell Collection” in our upcoming 2014 Fall Premier Auction.
A total of 32 lots are showcased and include some extraordinary bats that are largely unknown to the hobby, including: George Kelly’s 1916-20 H&B game-used bat; 1930’s Charlie Gehringer H&B game-used bat; 1931 Mickey Cochrane Double-Vault marked H&B game-used bat; and Yogi Berra’s 1958 All-Star autographed game-used bat. From the late ’60s and 1970s, Riddell’s collection includes some more showstoppers like Johnny Bench’s autographed game-used rookie era (1967-72) H&B gamer as well as a stunning Roberto Clemente’s 1971 (World Championship Season) autographed and game-used H&B bat with direct bat boy provenance.
Bill’s collecting interests also included team-signed baseballs and game-worn jerseys as well, including his crown jewel: a magnificent, completely original Ernie Banks’ 1969 autographed and game-worn Chicago Cubs jersey from his last full season in the bigs.
The Bill Riddell Collection Highlights Include:
- 1969 Ernie Banks Autographed Chicago Cubs Game Worn Home Jersey – Completely Original With Exceptional MLB Provenance
- 1971 Roberto Clemente Autographed H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat with Exceptional MLB Provenance
- 1931 Mickey Cochrane Double Vault Marked H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat
- 1958 Yogi Berra All-Star Autographed H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat with Exceptional MLB Batboy Provenance
- 1930’s Charlie Gehringer H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat
- 1916-20 George Kelly H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat – His Earliest Signature Model with Rare Dual Stamped Centerbrands
- 1967-72 Johnny Bench Autographed (Rookie Era) H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat
- 1958 Nellie Fox H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat
- 1950’s Red Schoendienst Autographed H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat
Other Collection Highlights Include:
- Collection of (16) Game Used Bats from Members of the 1984 World Champion Detroit Tigers
- Babe Ruth Double Signed 1937 Bank Check
- 1959 Ted Williams Pinch Hitter Baseball Themed Pinball Machine
- 1960’s Hillerich & Bradsby Metal Revolving Baseball Bat Rack
- Collection of (5) Game Used Bats from Members of the 1968 World Champion Detroit Tigers Incl. Northrup, Horton, Brown, Wert and Price
- Lot of (5) 1970’s-80’s All-Stars Professional Model Game Used Bats Incl. Simmons, B.Bonds, Madlock, Grich and Foster
- Lot of (8) HoF Legends Single Signed Baseballs Incl. Mantle and DiMaggio
- 1968 Dave Campbell Detroit Tigers (World Championship Season) Game Worn Home Jersey
- 1958 Rocky Colavito H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat with Exceptional MLB Batboy Provenance
- 1958 Harvey Kuenn H&B Professional Model Game Used Bat with Exceptional MLB Batboy Provenance