With only four teams still in the hunt for the coveted Vince Lombardi Trophy, the interest in playoff football and football memorabilia is at an all-time high. And, while admittedly modern day players, such as Patrick Mahomes, Jared Goff, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady, are among some of the most popular players in today’s NFL, Heritage Auctions will, instead, focus on gridiron legends of yesteryear in their upcoming February 23-24 Platinum Night Auction.
While presenting one of the greatest selections of vintage football gamers ever to hit the auction block, we would like to take this opportunity to highlight several from that impressive grouping:
- Circa 1968 Gale Sayers Game Worn & Signed Chicago Bears Jersey, MEARS A10—Photo Matched! – The first photomatched Sayers jersey to hit the hobby, this one was most likely worn in the Kansas Comet’s best game as a pro, when he tallied a staggering 205 yards on November 3, 1968 versus Green Bay at Lambeau Field.
- 1967-68 Willie Wood Game Worn Green Bay Packers Jersey – Arguably, the hottest genre of game-worn football jerseys are Packers Durenes from the Lombardi era. This green beauty was worn by Hall of Fame interception specialist Willie Wood during the Packers’ Super Bowl II run, or shortly thereafter.
- Circa 1947-48 Pete Pihos Game Worn Philadelphia Eagles Jersey – One of the earliest confirmed gamers from a Hall of Fame great, this stunning Pete Pihos jersey originates from a former Eagles locker room staffer, and it is one of the most attractive styles from the historic franchise.
- 1959-61 Tom Brookshier Game Worn Philadelphia Eagles Jersey– Following his tenure on the gridiron, Tom Brookshier was an announcer of the highest order. Highlighted here is a gorgeous green Durene jersey that was used by “Brooky” during the era when his Eagles won the 1960 league championship.
- Early 1970’s Len Dawson Game Worn & Signed Kansas City Chiefs Jersey– While Pat Mahomes is currently the cat’s meow in KC, you’ll find few baby boomers who don’t consider Len Dawson to the best man ever to play under center for the Chiefs. This home red jersey is almost certainly the last Durene the Hall of Fame quarterback ever wore.
- 1965-69 “Bullet Bob” Hayes Game Worn Dallas Cowboys Jersey, MEARS A8– The only man to have stood at the top of an Olympic podium and the top of the football world, Bullet Bob Hayes wore this white Durene jersey during cold weather games, while sporting a cool customized hand warmer at the front. One of the nicest Hayes jerseys on the planet.
- 1975 Lynn Swann Game Worn Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey, MEARS A10 – Graded a perfect “10” by the experts at MEARS, this white Durene jersey is one of very few authentic Swann jerseys to come to market. Exhibiting heavy wear throughout, it displays Sand Knit’s triple tagging in the tail, with an all-important 1975 year swatch.
- Early 1960’s John Mackey Game Worn Baltimore Colts Rookie Jersey – Photo matched to John Mackey’s 1966 Philadelphia Gum trading card, this blue beauty displays multiple team repairs and superb wear throughout. One of the greatest shirts ever worn by the dominant Hall of Famer.